• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

panacur overdose....8 days in one go...:(

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
about 2.30am i realsied i hadnt given bertie his panacur..usually midnite or just before as we are sleeping in the lounge at the mo thanks to nikkis broken foot!

so nikki set it up for me as i was a bit of a mess....and i went to give it to him and the marker bit wouldnt budge..suddenly it did..all the way to the end:shock:

omg i was so terrifed.....especially as he had a fit a short while back.....

i rang the vet hospitala nd the nurse woke the vet on call to ask and he said...considering berties size and the dose of panacur..he wouldnt call it a great overdose...as panacur is such a safe wormer he said. BUT i had to watch him closely and make sure he didnt have any fits or anyhting because of the OD.

he was eating fine and toileting fine and chasing merlin round my bed settee..and trying to get zuzu to play chase me....so far so good.

but omg i was so shocked i nealry peuked!!

bloomin thing...i know caroline said she had a experience with a faulty tube..but it went up the walls etc....

one older post on here about a faulty tube and bunny OD panacur...is it really that rare an occurrence?

im still keeping an eye on him tho.

we put panacur on a tiny bit of toast-- easier than oral syringe

Hi,
We were doing our 3 by oral syringe until we discovered they really LIKE it if spread on a treat. I know bread is a real no-no due to bloating, but we cut a slice of bread into lots of half inch squares and dry them for several days. Metacam drops or panacure go down a treat. I'm sure you may have already considered this but if not, maybe worth a try? Shebunkin

Panacur tubes are getting really bad in my opinion, not only are they now quite runny if not shaken vigorously before use but they are very stiff!
Luckily we do not have to syring straight in to our babies mouths or I suspect they would get quite a shock with that shooting down their throats!
What we do with Jimby is sandwich the panacur in between two basil/mint leaves and he takes it that way, Cookie has not quite got the hang of that so for her we just squeeze it on to a Fenugreek Crunchie and she will eat all around it till she is fourced to eat what is left with the Panacur on it :lol:

he has a bit of tummy ache and soft poop overload...but i think thats to do with merlin!
thank you for asking...hes snoozing...as usual:lol:

when hes calmer..he hates being woken up.....itll be fibreplex and infacol.:wave:

Good glad he is ok. Sounds like he's going to be fine. Just keep him eating and his tummy nicely balanced with the fibreplex and he should be fine. :)

What a fright for you! These things happen you know x

thank you hun xx

he has had fibreplex only for it to be a dud tube,...grrrrrr last one in our kit too.

but i gave him some infacol and he had plenty of noserubs and was eating hay....fingers crossed.

i hate the fibreplex tubes...we had four in one go faulty couldnt get fibreplex out at all.....oh no one else has complained bla bla bla:roll:

mind you when willow was alive she took a tube and ate through the hard plastic..spat it out on the floor and licked as much fibreplex as she could reach..:shock::lol:

merlins eating more hay..hes copying bertie a lot....which is good as he was never a hay eater...bif got him started but hes trying to out nom bertie:lol:

hope youre well..still no morning sickness? hope not..i hated having that..eww.

Back