• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions...

smokeysmum

New Kit
I have a male and a female rabbit, brother and sister, they have lived together from birth although when i bought the rabbits i was told that they were actually sisters! I had the male castrated as soon as i noticed otherwise but it was too late and yesterday i found babies in the cage - i had no idea my little girl was pregnant so came as quite a shock. I've taken dad out and put him in a spare cage by himself but i'm concerned that they will really miss each other as they really are very close and always sleep cuddled up together and follow each other around. They are both eating and drinking but seem quite subdued...... i just wondered if anyone else had any experience like this? Would i be okay to let them have play pen time together for 10 mins a day or something? or is taking mum away from the babies even for a short period wrong?

Also if i do keep them totally seperate until the babies leave home will they have forgotten each other by the time i try and put them back together?

Very confused as this is the first time that i've kept rabbits :shock:

Are the babies alive?
When was the male neutered?

ETA- sorry just reread and realised babies are alive.

Sadly the male needs to be kept well away from the babies as he is likely to kill them. Taking mum away from babies is not a good idea and she should be left to cope with them with minimal input from you.

Once babies have grown up you can rebond the male and Mum together.

I'd read about males killing the babies so i removed him as soon as i found them. She had 3 babies, one was dead and out of the nest so i took that one out of the cage, then there are two wriggling around in the nest. Monty was castrated 3 weeks ago as soon as i discovered she was actually a he.

I've not had anything to do with the babies today really, apart from looking at the nest a couple of times to make sure they are still moving. I've been feeding and stroking mum as normal but haven't taken her out of the cage.

Thanks for your advice :)

Back