• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT Advice re absesses

Amy104

Warren Veteran
My sister took her rabbit to the vets last Sunday as she had a swelling. Turns out it was a tooth absess. Vets prescribed antibotics (she doesn't know what) and operated on Weds to drain the absess. Check up at the vets today revealed the absess had refilled already and vets have suggested it would be kinder to PTS. Is this the kindest thing to do? I just feel they haven't really given the antibitics chance to work, its only been 1 week.

Sorry I don't have any experience of dental abcesses in buns, only in other areas but I am sure someone will be along very soon to advise you. Vibes for bunny too.

Pea had a tooth root abscess surgically removed two weeks ago. How rabbit-savvy is the vet who's treating the bunny? My bunny vet removed as much of the abscess as humanly possible surgically and we are now on an 8 week course of Zithromax. Fingers crossed for a good check-up at the vets tomorrow.

Tooth root abscesses are notoriously hard to treat and will often return but I wouldn't have thought it would return as quickly as that. Sounds as though not enough of it was removed during surgery and possibly the wrong antibiotic is being given. Were they able to flush right through the jaw during surgery to remove as much infection as possible?

Me neither - Typical the one time my sister actually asks my advice and it on something I've no experience of. Her vet has adviced she could ive with it but would need regular GA's to drain it which doesn't sound like a life for a bunny.

I would ask your sister to mention Zithromax as an antibiotic to her vet - we've been managing a jaw abscess in one of our buns over the last couple of weeks & this abx has worked well for our Libby.

Do you know if your sister's vets is a bunny savvy one? If not it might be worth her getting a 2nd opinion first from a bunny savvy one.

Do you know where abouts the abscess is particularly?

I'm trying to persuad her to go to my vets or ask for a referal to langford.

I'll get her to ask about the Zithromax.

we have had two abcsesses cured by continual flushing combined with antibiotics. In one case injectibles in the other a combination .

we have had two abcsesses cured by continual flushing combined with antibiotics. In one case injectibles in the other a combination .

My vet also mentioned we may have to move to injectible penicilin if the Zithromax doesn't do it's stuff. Hope not - that white gloop is a pain in the bum to inject :roll:.

How often was it having GA's to flush it. The trouble is the bunny hasn't been handled much and finds it stressful. Sister struggles to medicate, I could do it tho if there is possibility of a good outcome.

Our Bunny Vet Expert (Guy Carter @ Medivet in Watford) sorted our French Lop who had a real bad inner jaw Abcess.
Basically, operated, removed the teeth around the affected area and put her on every other day injections via injection into Scruff of Duphapen.
Not licensed on Rabbits but this Vet knows his stuff and as a result, the abscess which was huge (he pulled out in front of us what resembled a golf ball size of Mozzarella--Yeuk) never came back and Jessica lived another 2 years perfectly fine.
Dont give up hope x

Thank you all. Unfortunately I don't seem to be making any headway here and sister thinks it is kinder to PTS.

Aparently vets cannot remove the absess and the jaw is crumbling.

Peaceful passing vibes for this little one.

Last edited:
so sad to hear that...:cry:
i hope that the little one passes to rainbow bridge peacefully...
our thoughts are with you all:love:

so sorry to hear about the bunny's sad time with abcess

so sorry to hear about the bunny's abcess-- we lost a beloved bunny who had abcesses caused by tooth root problems-- the abcess kept filling up and we had to have him euthanised because the vet said the tooth roots had grown into a big tangle under his chin. Probably quite hard to treat these abcesses and stressful for bunny. Hope bunny goes to a peaceful happier place.
Shebunkin

Grimlock survived two tooth abscesses. The vet wanted to put him to sleep but my other vet researched and we gave him depocillin injection every three days for eight weeks. I injected him myself at home. He recovered well.

Obviously if the jaw is crumbling this is a different issue, but if there is just a risk of it then I would try other options. My first vet didn't know that much about rabbit medicine but I did a lot of research. It was worth it. :)

Back