• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patches under dwarf lop's ears

My lop eared dwarf doe has developed some bald patches under both of her ears. They are in the exact same place, same size and colour. I assumed they could be because of where her ears fold over because they are directly in the creases, but wondered if anyone has seen them before? She ocasionally scratches at her ears but nothing to extreme and the skin is intact and not broken.

My dwarf lop Smudge has exactly the same problem under both ears and I can't work out why. I have 2.5 other lop eared rabbits (1 rabbit with both ear types!) and the others all have fur under their ears like he used to have. I had the vet check it out and they can't explain it either. It's not mites though.

Smudge isn't the healthiest at the moment with bladder sludge problems so I was wondering if it was just a sign of him being a bit run down?

Ah glad someone else has seen something similar. I wasnt that worried about it because they don't seem to bother her at all. Whenni googled it I became a bit worried because I saw mites being mentioned but it was associated with open wounds and seemed to be all over the ears and not symmetrical!

Cheyletiella mites commonly occur around the base of the neck/back of head, base of spine, and around the ears also. I would get the vet to check if you see any white dandruff in these areas as mites is a possibility.

Alternatives could be moulting or scald (from damp/wet/saliva/urine)

Yes, sorry I wasn't saying it's not mites in all cases, just that in our case the vet did the sellotape test on Smudge and couldn't see anything through the microscope so ruled that out.

I'll try to take a photo.

Yes, sorry I wasn't saying it's not mites in all cases, just that in our case the vet did the sellotape test on Smudge and couldn't see anything through the microscope so ruled that out.

I'll try to take a photo.

Only an idea...............Does your rabbit seem to be irritated by his ears and itch his ears/around his ears? I was reading that many lops suffer with ear wax buildup as the inner ear tube is permanently kinked. This can become painful. They can have their ears flushed like humans.

I hope it isnt this, i just found it interesting to know.

Back