• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just been to the RSPCA...

georgie_f

Mama Doe
... and they have barely any bunnies! :shock: They only had seven bunnies in.

A pair of wildie crosses.
A pair consisting of one black and one agouti bunny. (I bet they'll be there for a while :()
A pair consisting of a harlequin male and a sooty fawn female.
And a little black otter buck that had come in as a stray.

They have space there for about 50 or so bunnies, I was really surprised to see the small animal block so empty.

Has anyone else found this at their local rescues? Is it something to do with the time of year?

The RSPCA is the only rescue over here that takes in rabbits so logically, you'd think they'd be over-run.

Nope my RSPCA is overflowing with buns at the mo :(

I thought everywhere was which is why I was so suprised to see it so empty. I hope they didn't have a..... 'clear out'. :shock: I suppose if they did the wildie crosses would have been the first to go though, they've been there for absolutely years.

I suppose it's a good thing that they have so few - they obviously haven't changed their policies about only taking in emergencies though as the stray had only arrived last week and the rest were just unwanted or accidental (the wildies were born in the centre apparently).

I had a look in one of the cattery's too which was half empty.

One RSPCA i contacted with a view to adopting said that their centre was in quarantine because of a virus. Don't suppose anything like that could've wiped a load out? :cry:

One RSPCA i contacted with a view to adopting said that their centre was in quarantine because of a virus. Don't suppose anything like that could've wiped a load out? :cry:

I don't know, I suppose it's possible. I wish I'd asked now! I've been waiting to hear from someone about volunteering for a good six weeks which is why I went in... I guess they didn't get in touch because there's nothing for me to look after!

The buns were all ones I'd never seen before except for the wild crosses. I did half wonder if they'd PTS a load as it's been reported in the local paper that the centre is struggling financially and they've made staff redundant. But then I figured the wildies would have been the first to go if that happened, not the only ones left.

I just remembered the had a gorgeous REW called Tigger too, so that's eight in all.

PACT In Norfolk can hold up to 80 or so, but when we were looking in July they only had one pair of REWs in and a few single buns and one litter that were not ready to go.

my local one only has about 6 rabbits in a few weeks ago when i went to look, which is odd when p@h adoption bits is over run with about 9 rabbits in.

I think the honest truth is that alot of RSPCA centres pts rather than try and rehome rabbits.

Yes, sadly I know a lot of RSPCA centres do that :( but why would they PTS to the point that the entire block was nearly empty? And keep the wildies that have been there for such a long time?

I always thought if they were going to PTS, it'd be the buns that had been there longest, the oldest and ones that perhaps have illnesses and behavioural problems and even then, I'd assume they'd only PTS enough to make room for a few more to come in.

I'm going to be wondering what happened to all those bunnies for ages now. :oops: I hope they just found homes. Our P@H never has anything in the adoption centre so perhaps unwanted bunnies just aren't that common over here?! :?:

We are really full here.

Sadly summer is often a peak time for people giving up rabbits as they go away on summer holidays and rehome their pets rather than pay out for boarding :roll::cry:

We've just had a P@H open in a neighbouring town (5 minutes by train). :wave: I sent my parents for hay when Spenser ran out as I would undoubtedly want to adopt more bunnies if I went into it. Just as well I don't have and RSCPA place too handy ... ;)

Which RSPCA centre was that? Wish that was the case here, we dont have a centre but all our foster hutches are full, and most fosterers have extra bunnies :(

Not all RSPCA staff are bad, I would never dream of putting a bunny to sleep for no reason, same with any animal x

... and they have barely any bunnies! :shock: They only had seven bunnies in.

A pair of wildie crosses.
A pair consisting of one black and one agouti bunny. (I bet they'll be there for a while :()
A pair consisting of a harlequin male and a sooty fawn female.
And a little black otter buck that had come in as a stray.

They have space there for about 50 or so bunnies, I was really surprised to see the small animal block so empty.

Has anyone else found this at their local rescues? Is it something to do with the time of year?

The RSPCA is the only rescue over here that takes in rabbits so logically, you'd think they'd be over-run.

hiya i just would like to put your mind at rest i work at the iow rspca and can assure you that we would never ever put an animal to sleep unless it was for medical reasons. the reason the rabbit tree is so empty at the moment is partly due to the staff redundancies as we are not going to have the staff to give their full attention to all the bunnies as it is being merged with wildlife, we have rehomed all the bunnies even some of the long stays, we havnt had alot on our waiting list either and it is a good thing that their arent many bunnies as it means fingers croossed people are looking after them or they are not buying them on a whim. i hope this clears up your quieries and if they dont please come in for a chat, and i shall also chase up the volly thing for you.

RSPCA in chobham puts to sleep alot! we have a friend who works there:cry: they don't leave enough time to find homes before putting to sleep.:cry:

hiya i just would like to put your mind at rest i work at the iow rspca and can assure you that we would never ever put an animal to sleep unless it was for medical reasons. the reason the rabbit tree is so empty at the moment is partly due to the staff redundancies as we are not going to have the staff to give their full attention to all the bunnies as it is being merged with wildlife, we have rehomed all the bunnies even some of the long stays, we havnt had alot on our waiting list either and it is a good thing that their arent many bunnies as it means fingers croossed people are looking after them or they are not buying them on a whim. i hope this clears up your quieries and if they dont please come in for a chat, and i shall also chase up the volly thing for you.

Oooh! Hi! :wave:

I'm pleased to hear all the bunnies found homes. :D I figured you guys weren't one of the branchs that tend to PTS a lot as my Cloud came from you at seven years (suposedly!) old and I've heard a lot of horror stories about older bunnies being PTS by the RSPCA and other shelters because they're deemed a bit 'past it'!

Geriatric bunnies are my favourite kind! :lol:

If you could follow up the volunteer thing, that would be brilliant! I think I've filled in three forms now and rang a few times. I can't seem to get hold of the lady I need to get hold of! :roll::lol: I imagine it's a bit busy up there now there are less staff and it's just been forgotten or misplaced. :wave:

I offered to 'foster' for the northants branch of the rspca (small letters ! ).......That was 3 YEARS ago. Someone came with some forms to fill in and have a chat, then I heard nothing until I rang them after 6 months and they said they weren't experiencing a problem with rabbits :shock::shock: Why is Rabbit Rescue so full with rabbits on a waiting list :shock: That is only one local rescue and the others are also full and having to turn people away :(

Some RSPCA branches aren't as good as others, but some are absolutely amazing and very bunny savvy! Please don't tarnish us all with the same brush. Lots of volunteers spend hours and hours of their time volunteering and helping with the bunnies, I certainly wouldn't do what I do if they pts for no reason.

Back