• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sick to Death of P@H

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I know that going in there was my choice.
I did so as I needed some Avipro Plus TODAY

Adoption Centre- Rabbit -Notice reads 'I am a six month old male with health problems and I need special care. Please ask a member of staff for more information'

So I did

Was told 'his teeth grow too fast so we have to keep cutting them back. He came in with a new stock delivery but he wasn't eating so we kept him out the back. When we took him to the Vet we were told that his front teeth will always need cutting back for the rest of his life.

Now, this Rabbit came from the breeder who ALWAYS supplies P@H. His Dental problems are OBVIOUSLY GENETIC.

Need I say more............... :evil:

I feel absolutely awful that I had to leave the gunky eyed little lop, every bone in my body wanted to take him

Things will NEVER change in that godawful place

:censored:

I saw one lone boy in the adoption section, 3 months old, and labelled as aggressive towards other rabbits so should be homed as a single rabbit.

I really hope someone took him home and neutered him, and gave him a proper chance at rabbit living with another rabbit :(

xxx

There has literally never been an occasion when I've gone to the local P@H and thought "Yep, these buns have everything they need".

I only go in there if I absolutely have to.

Adoption Centre- Rabbit -Notice reads 'I am a six month old male with health problems and I need special care. Please ask a member of staff for more information'

So I did

Was told 'his teeth grow too fast so we have to keep cutting them back. He came in with a new stock delivery but he wasn't eating so we kept him out the back. When we took him to the Vet we were told that his front teeth will always need cutting back for the rest of his life.

Now, this Rabbit came from the breeder who ALWAYS supplies P@H. His Dental problems are OBVIOUSLY GENETIC.

I feel absolutely awful that I had to leave the gunky eyed little lop, every bone in my body wanted to take him

That is, in a nut-shell, why I hate pet shops that sell animals - they're 'stock'. :roll: I can't even put into words how much I hate P@H.

So I did

Perhaps an email to the following would be useful.

Maeve Moorcroft MVB MRCVS

Head of Pets

Pets at Home Ltd

P@H make effusive claims about the quality of their breeders and the regular checks of suppliers undertaken by P@H. In which case, one wonders how a rabbit with a genetic defect was not noticed before being shipped to the store.

Perhaps an email to the following would be useful.

Maeve Moorcroft MVB MRCVS

Head of Pets

Pets at Home Ltd

P@H make effusive claims about the quality of their breeders and the regular checks of suppliers undertaken by P@H. In which case, one wonders how a rabbit with a genetic defect was not noticed before being shipped to the store.

Thanks for that. I will send an email off today. But I know they will just reply with their usual :censored: claiming how 'important the welfare of their animals always is to them'

I cant stop thinking about the little Dental Lop :cry:

How many more from his 'batch of stock' will be similarly effected with congenital malocclusion ?

INFURIATING :censored:

Thanks for that. I will send an email off today. But I know they will just reply with their usual :censored: claiming how 'important the welfare of their animals always is to them'

How many more from his 'batch of stock' will be similarly effected with congenital malocclusion ?

If you get the standard fob off, perhaps you could reply with "if the welfare of the animals is so important, then why are P@H not managing it adequately".

What would you suggest they do Jane with the rabbit? Should he not have the chance at being re-homed, be PTS? I see the point your making but, I think this thread is going to be a slate PAH thread and I don't think they are the worst pet retailer selling rabbits personally, as much as I don't like rabbits being bred to supply pet shops either - things do happen that aren't necessarily predictable - we know that with humans born with deformities or abnormalites - even after scans, tests things can still happen - I think the fact he is in the adoption section is at least giving him a chance at life with a new owner, would you rather they returned to him to the breeder to be 'necked'. The problem could very easily be hidden, the fact it's not is actually more reassuring to me.

What would you suggest they do Jane with the rabbit? Should he not have the chance at being re-homed, be PTS? I see the point your making but, I think this thread is going to be a slate PAH thread and I don't think they are the worst pet retailer selling rabbits personally, as much as I don't like rabbits being bred to supply pet shops either - things do happen that aren't necessarily predictable - we know that with humans born with deformities or abnormalites - even after scans, tests things can still happen - I think the fact he is in the adoption section is at least giving him a chance at life with a new owner, would you rather they returned to him to the breeder to be 'necked'. The problem could very easily be hidden, the fact it's not is actually more reassuring to me.

So its fine for their official breeder to supply 'stock' with congenital dental disease :roll: It wont be just one Rabbit effected.

'Cutting' the teeth is OK ?

So its fine for their official breeder to supply 'stock' with congenital dental disease :roll: It wont be just one Rabbit effected.

'Cutting' the teeth is OK ?

No of course it's not fine, it's incredibly unfortunate for the rabbit, I was genuinely interested in how you would rectify this, apart from the ideal scenario of not breeding rabbits for sale (it's not an ideal world) it's impossible for a store even with a vet inspection of babies, this type of dental problem wouldn't be apparent till the bun is a bit older, I hope that the manager of the store or the vet has advised the breeder or Head of Pets and it's on record so that on an inspection of their 'breeding' premises this can be fed back better still a phone call from the vet to the breeder to advise, I still don't think there is much else that can be done other than putting him in the adoption section for rehoming, at least he is being treated and it's been discovered rather than him just suffering and dying of stassis through being unable to eat.

'Cutting' the teeth isn't something that I can say I have a lot of knowledge about, I'm assuming it's performed by a veterinary surgeon and therefore if it's to enable the bun to continue with a 'reasonable' standard of living then yes I suppose so, not pleasant but, necessary to enable him to eat etc?:?

I'm sure any suffering will be minimalised if possible for him by the vet.

It's a really emotive subjective and do fully understand your point of view, I just think that there is far worse going on and as I said - they aren't 'hiding' the problem which they could have done easily by sending the rabbit back to the breeder, at least they are still trying to find him a good home and are informing the 'potential' adopters of the likely cost.:wave:

I think Jane was talking about ALL the rabbits supplied by this particular P@H breeder, not just the one mini she saw today. Why are they taking rabbits from someone who's breeding has been shown to produce hereditary dental faults? If they were in the least bit interested in animal welfare, this breeder would have been removed from their list of suppliers.

As for cutting the teeth, I'm sure P@H, just whip the little bloke out the back and cut the incisors with a pair of nail clippers, shattering the teeth right down to the root, allowing a perfect home for bacteria to set up shop, instead of having them burred. By the sound of his gunky eye, he's already got overgrown roots, and needs the teeth removed, not snipped with a rusty pair of Miki clippers.
This chain of pet stores really is disgraceful.

I think Jane was talking about ALL the rabbits supplied by this particular P@H breeder, not just the one mini she saw today. Why are they taking rabbits from someone who's breeding has been shown to produce hereditary dental faults? If they were in the least bit interested in animal welfare, this breeder would have been removed from their list of suppliers.

As for cutting the teeth, I'm sure P@H, just whip the little bloke out the back and cut the incisors with a pair of nail clippers, shattering the teeth right down to the root, allowing a perfect home for bacteria to set up shop, instead of having them burred. By the sound of his gunky eye, he's already got overgrown roots, and needs the teeth removed, not snipped with a rusty pair of Miki clippers.
This chain of pet stores really is disgraceful.

I see what your saying but, that is a massive assumption and not necessarily the case. Don't be fooled into thinking that 'genetic' mutations don't happen to the 'best' breeders - they do, the difference is yes the rabbits are drowned or necked before sale if it is detected. There is no evidence at all that this bun has come from a 'litter' of affected rabbits, a human being can give birth to a child with a deformity or abnormality and go on to have 'healthy' children.

What your saying regarding the 'cutting' of teeth is speculation and actually I would be wary of saying things that are bordering on slanderous, if you have evidence to support that then fine, if not you should reserve opinions because in fairness you don't know that is the case.:wave:

The store assistant told the OP, that they have to keep "cutting" the rabbits teeth. So no assumptions, or libellous remarks here boss.

The vast majority of cases of malocclusion, are hereditary. Ergo, remove each supplier of maloccluded rabbits, and you will lessen the number of animals with dental problems on sale.Simples.

human being can give birth to a child with a deformity or abnormality and go on to have 'healthy' children.

Yes they can, but as a rule, humans don't give birth to litters of six plus children, who are then able to reproduce in a matter of months, so that's a very weak analogy.
Like it or not, malocclusion is invariably an hereditary condition, and where you or I will take our maloccluded rabbits to the vet for proper treatment, the vast majority of these animals will live miserable lives, until the disease, or pain becomes too much for them. So surely it makes sense to only be supplied by a breeder whos stock is free from hereditary defects.

The store assistant told the OP, that they have to keep "cutting" the rabbits teeth. So no assumptions, or libellous remarks here boss.

The vast majority of cases of malocclusion, are hereditary. Ergo, remove each supplier of maloccluded rabbits, and you will lessen the number of animals with dental problems on sale.Simples.

My point exactly.

Yes they can, but as a rule, humans don't give birth to litters of six plus children, who are then able to reproduce in a matter of months, so that's a very weak analogy.
Like it or not, malocclusion is invariably an hereditary condition, and where you or I will take our maloccluded rabbits to the vet for proper treatment, the vast majority of these animals will live miserable lives, until the disease, or pain becomes too much for them. So surely it makes sense to only be supplied by a breeder whos stock is free from hereditary defects.

....and that ^^^^^^^^

:wave: No need to start getting annoyed or calling me 'boss' etc we are all entitled to our views, mine isn't disagreeing with yours, I am just calling for some perspective and keeping it civil - PAH are not the worst retailer selling rabbits, they are working hard to improve things at least - this sort of thread becoming a thread that 'tars the whole organisation with the same brush IMO is a bit unfair so I wanted to offer a bit of balance.

This chain of pet stores really is disgraceful. In your opinion maybe but, it doesn't mean it's fact

Absolutely right but, to reflect on the original post, things happen, they come to light, we don't know that the breeder hasn't been advised, are you suggesting that they should have sent the bun back to the breeder then to be PTS? Your post is right and stating the obvious - the store wouldn't want to sell rabbits with problems of this nature would they? Things happen - baby bunnies won't display this problem at birth or up to 8 weeks of age - Oh forget it:roll:

Absolutely right but, to reflect on the original post, things happen, they come to light, we don't know that the breeder hasn't been advised, are you suggesting that they should have sent the bun back to the breeder then to be PTS? Your post is right and stating the obvious - the store wouldn't want to sell rabbits with problems of this nature would they? Things happen - baby bunnies won't display this problem at birth or up to 8 weeks of age - Oh forget it:roll:

Nope, it's even simpler than that, they refuse to take stock from a breeder of known maloccluded rabbits.

So I did

Jane please email headoffice with this information on that particular branch, they seem very willing to hear from the public about these issues and perhaps then they will look into it xx

Jane please email headoffice with this information on that particular branch, they seem very willing to hear from the public about these issues and perhaps then they will look into it xx

Yes lets hope they don't see this thread and just come to the conclusion that it's better when these things 'crop' up to 'deal' with them by sending the bun back to the breeder to be 'dealt' with - afterall what we don't know as the general public can't bother us then can it or generate bad publicity! They could have just hidden the whole thing,:roll: thankfully he has a chance of life - however 'miserable' you may it deem it to be Mudgy eh, I for one hope he gets adopted and a chance of a good life.

Yes lets hope they don't see this thread and just come to the conclusion that it's better when these things 'crop' up to 'deal' with them by sending the bun back to the breeder to be 'dealt' with - afterall what we don't know as the general public can't bother us then can it or generate bad publicity! They could have just hidden the whole thing,:roll: thankfully he has a chance of life - however 'miserable' you may it deem it to be Mudgy eh, I for one hope he gets adopted and a chance of a good life.

Continuing to let them use breeders like this wont solve the problem, they need to be aware this branch is using a breeder that has genetic faults in their line, how many people are going to go to a pet shop and adopt a bunny that hasnt been spayed, vaccinated, give a donation, and then pay for regular dentals on top?! I know the realistic answer to that!

Last edited:
Back