• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much does it cost

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
to buy a baby bun from Pets At Home - not adoption I don't mean, just the usual bunny enclosure?

Just looked online, it's £27.50. I'm sure they do a 2 for something offer, probably £50, although it doesn't mention this on their site.

To be fair to them (which is difficult for me :lol:) their rabbit info is not half bad.

xxx

Last edited:
the one near me does £45 for two buns, hay and food

it always amazing me how happy the buns in p@h look, really flopped out

the poor little buns in the adoption centre look so so sad though :cry: Yesterday there was a really chubby dutch in there, in an area where she couldnt even stretch out, I wanted to take her home but no room

does anyone know if the adoption buns are given any exercise? cooped up in there all day is so horrible

I just wonder, because if they're charging (or trying to) £20 for a severly ill rabbit with EC, and £27.00ish for a healthy baby bun, how much are they charging for the healthy ones in the adoption centre?! Is the 'adoption centre' just a way of emotionally tricking people into buying the same rabbit, even for more than it's actually 'worth'?!! :?

Last edited:
I just wonder, because if they're charging (or trying to) £20 for a severly ill rabbit with EC, and £27.00ish for a healthy baby bun, how much are they charging for the healthy ones in the adoption centre?! Is the 'adoption centre' just a way of emotionally tricking people into buying the same rabbit, even for more than it's actually 'worth'?!! :?

I wonder how selling rabbits that are ill with EC would be reconciled with the terms of the pet shop licence?

6.1 All stock offered for sale must be in good health as far as can be reasonably determined.

I wonder how selling rabbits that are ill with EC would be reconciled with the terms of the pet shop licence?

6.1 All stock offered for sale must be in good health as far as can be reasonably determined.

I wonder if they get around it by saying they are being 'adopted' rather than sold?

I wonder if they get around it by saying they are being 'adopted' rather than sold?

Exactly what I'm saying - basically same price for 'damaged goods' if you like. All of the buns in the adoption centre have their 'baggage', even if it's just that they're older than the others in the rabbit pen, and have therefore lost their value. While it's completely understandable that a rescue should charge an adoption fee to cover their overheads, it's pretty disscusting that P@H do when they're just going to wash their hands of the bun as soon as it's been adopted. While I can understand them charging a fee to help insure they won't end up as snake food/dog bait etc, they should offer vouchers for it's vet treatment or neutering in return (I believe most stores have a vet centre now?).

Having said all that though, that would make them responsible, which, of course, they're not...

Last edited:
The adoption fee is lower than the price of the other animals, and the money is technically a donation to go to the upkeep of the adoption centre.

xxx

the adoption fee is voluntary and in my branch the average donation is £5. I think they actually do offer neutering vouchers with the adoption buns in some areas, and I know they cover vets fees if you adopt an animal which turns out to be ill.

I really think their rehoming display needs serious redesign. I can't get my head round why in the same shop, they have baby and giant rabbits for sale, a litter of baby dutches (five I think at the time) in their tiny display cabinet (apparently these were brought in as an unwanted litter, not ex sale stock) and two other dwarf lops (My two) who had the run of the consulting room in the vets! Sprocket and Widget had it great, lots of space to run around, constant attention from the vets (who also fixed them up- Widget had a prolapsed rectum and Sprocket was snuffly). They were speyed and neutered before we took them and vaccinations were included in my (unspecified) donation (I paid £40 for the two which I believe goes to a local rescue). I went through a full house check too. This process has nothing to do with the shop itself, its completely seperate. I have no idea what happened to the dutch buns, they were not there on Saturday, only a small himalayan has taken their place. :?

I got the impression that the adotion centre takes in buns from elsewhere and tries to rehome them in conjunction with a local rescue. But from what some on here are saying that is not the case? If they are so keen on animal welfare and supporting local rescues it seems completely counterproductive to breed stock to sell. Why don't they just take unwanted litters to sell or rehome instead of specifically breeding stock?

Hi Hoppit, they charge £27.50 for a single rabbit and £45 (I think for 2). Basil came from there, I paid £27.50 for him and 14 days later he was diagnosed with EC. My vet said the shop wouldn't have been aware that he would have developed EC at such an early age (8/9 weeks) and he was probably infected by his mother. I knew very little about rabbits when I purchased him but was surprised that he had a slight eye discharge. I don't regret buying him, I don't think he would be here today as he was so ill and our vet was fab. As for the adoption rabbits, I am sure I read somewhere on here that someone paid £6 for a rabbit, but that they also had health issues with it. At the end of the day someone has to be more accountable for the health of these poor rabbits. Maybe the breeders?

Last edited:
Do they charge "adopters" a fee to purchase the "adopted" rabbit, I wonder? Like "buying" it.

No it's a donation of choice, some P@H request a minimum donation, my local P@H is very good and asks about accommodation, previous experience and even checks whether you are aware of rabbit savvy vets in the area, as well as ensuring that the potential adopter is aware bunnies needs a continuous supply of hay. If you don't meet these needs, you can't adopt. I was offered Jemimah for free due to my knowledge, however I chose to donate £10.00 to the greyhound sanctuary associated with my local P@H's adoption centre.

They go through the same procedure with enclosure buns and if someone wants to purchase a too small cage, they won't be able to purchase a bunny or two.

Up here it's £49 for two, I remember the woman saying she paid that for Islay and Jura when she bought them. I paid £20 to her for them.

Back