• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eyes

Morgana

Warren Scout
Hi guys :)

I have a rabbit who's about 3 months, she's a siamese sable or seal colour, and her eyes are brown but have always had a reddish tinge. Like they look reddish and when you take photos they look red sometimes. I don't know if that's normal or something to do with this.

But yesterday I noticed that they was a blueish tinge over part of one of her eye. Does anyone know what that might be, an injury or something? Or a genetic thing . . . ?

I'm kinda worried that it could be something to do with her being in the shed too much, even though they shed had a window and gets quite a lot of light, not really direct sunlight. And when the weather was bad she wasn't getting out that much, so I was worried this could be something from being in the dark too much. But the shed is quite light even with the door shut, just in the evening it gets dark in there. So I'm just worrying about that affecting her eyesight. (Btw, we just don't have a run attached to the shed yet, but they get put out in a run if it's not raining.)

Or any other ideas on what it could be?

Hi guys :)

I have a rabbit who's about 3 months, she's a siamese sable or seal colour, and her eyes are brown but have always had a reddish tinge. Like they look reddish and when you take photos they look red sometimes. I don't know if that's normal or something to do with this.

But yesterday I noticed that they was a blueish tinge over part of one of her eye. Does anyone know what that might be, an injury or something? Or a genetic thing . . . ?

I'm kinda worried that it could be something to do with her being in the shed too much, even though they shed had a window and gets quite a lot of light, not really direct sunlight. And when the weather was bad she wasn't getting out that much, so I was worried this could be something from being in the dark too much. But the shed is quite light even with the door shut, just in the evening it gets dark in there. So I'm just worrying about that affecting her eyesight. (Btw, we just don't have a run attached to the shed yet, but they get put out in a run if it's not raining.)

Or any other ideas on what it could be?

It sounds like her third eyelid could be protruding a little. It is blueish in appearance like a thin layer of skin. This can happen if bun has irritated their eye with dust/hay or it can be more significant of an underlying health issue, raised intraoccular pressure or tooth root issues for example.

It could equally be the begining of a cataract or glaucoma, and maybe EC related.
If you are concerned then I would pop her to the vet for a check up.

p.s do remember that buns really need daily access to sunlight if possible, weather permitting, in order to manufacture enough vitamin D3. :)

Thanks, I didn't think it was her third eyelid, but I'll take a better look and see how it is at the moment. :)

I do try to put them out in their run as much as I can, and soon hopefully will have the run attached to the shed. :) They do get direct sunlight in the shed for a lot of the day, in patches, though. I don't like them being in the shed all day if I can help it, but on very rainy days I leave them in there . . . you know how it is.

I'll take her to the vets anyway if it's still like that in a day or two or gets any worse.

Back