• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bloat

Is bloat related to wet food?

• Bloat - bun did eat wet veg inc grass

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Bloat - bun didn't eat wet veg inc grass

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No bloat - bun did eat wet veg inc grass

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • No bloat - bun didn't eat wet veg inc grass

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
I want to see if there's any colleration between eating wet food (ie, veg which hasn't been dried after washing or rain soaked grass) and bloat. It's multiple choice so if you have more than one bun you can answer.

Those with multiple buns, perhaps you could post and say exactly what the numbers were for each choice?

Thanks guys! :D

Last edited:
You'd really need to define what sort of bloat- the actual stomach? The small intestines ?

IMO feeding wet veg is unlikely to cause problems as long as Bun is used to them and any new types of veg are introduced slowly and one new type at a time.

Grass can cause problems for Rabbits who have not been raised on daily, year round access to it. Bloating of the actual stomach often occurring as a result of eating too much new growth grass, especially in the springtime.

An obstruction of the pylorus, where the stomach empties into the small intestines is very likely to cause bloat in the stomach as the food cannot pass out and starts to ferment.

Bloating in the small intestines usually occurs as part of general GI tract hypomotility/ gut dysbiosis or as a result of an obstruction.

So I cant really answer your poll !!

I have heard this before but I never quite understand it. I find it hard to see the difference between grass which has been rained on, and grass which hasn't - the latter still has water inside, after all, and a rabbit with access to water can drink at the same time.

With regards to my own rabbits, when I had outdoor buns they used to go out on rain soaked grass all the time and never had any problems.

My houserabbit Skye has a bit of a gassy tummy last year but she hadn't eaten any wet-on-the-outside food previously.

Back