• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Age of rabbits ...

myrabbitbenji

Young Bun
On average how long do they live for? Does it depend on the breed?

And is 7 quite old or not really?

Sorry for the silly questions but just wondering. Thank you

The "average" age people say is 7, however some bunnies do live until their teens and some are lost a lot earlier.

I have a bunny who is 7.5 (dental bunny), one that is 5 and one that is 2.

I thought 10 was the average-ish age for a regular size rabbit?

Giant breeds of rabbit have shorter lifespan, and I think their average is around 5 years, although I've never had a giant, so I can't say that with any real confidence!

xxx

It does depend on breed, to a certain extent, the larger bunnies often have shorter lives. It seems to be the longer living bunnies (into their teens and sometimes late teens) are often dutch bunnies.

Generally 8-10 years would be a good age for your average, medium sized rabbit

All the vets say 5 is the average age that rabbits live to, but of course that's including all the poor buns owned by stupid or poorly educated people who don't know/care about the need for space/vaccinations/neutering/hygine/secure housing etc etc. I think if you're a decent owner 8 is about the usual age, but it can be as old as 14! Giants live for around 5 years, as they tend to have more health issues, particulally heart problems.

Last edited:
It does depend on breed, to a certain extent, the larger bunnies often have shorter lives. It seems to be the longer living bunnies (into their teens and sometimes late teens) are often dutch bunnies.

Generally 8-10 years would be a good age for your average, medium sized rabbit

How interesting... Is there a reason for that?

xxx

poppy was a dutch we had her for 12 years she was an adult when we got her ( a family returned her to a local independent pet shop when they got bored:evil:) she traveled all around the country with us in our camper van she even went to ireland:love:

I'd say Nethies are probably the longest lived breed in general, as long as their teeth aren't too bad.

My longest lived bun is a mini lop who's aged about 12-ish. And I've got/had a few dwarf lops who are/were aged 8-10 years

I have no idea why they would be, but I'm just going by ages owners have said their bunnies have been but also the last few longest living rabbits in the guiness book of records have all been dutches.

Maybe they have very limited genetic problems (like teeth, hearts, etc).

My longest lived bunny was Bugsy,he was a dwarf lop and lived to 9 yrs old and even then was pts because of an abcess so may well have lived longer.

I have no idea why they would be, but I'm just going by ages owners have said their bunnies have been but also the last few longest living rabbits in the guiness book of records have all been dutches.

Maybe they have very limited genetic problems (like teeth, hearts, etc).

This makes me very happy :)

My 2 boys just turned 4 years in August and I sure hope they live into their teens. They are half dutch so hopefully this will help! They are also half mini rex.

:)

Lynn

Back