• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shall i shut the buns away at night?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
This is the first day they have been in their run and im not sure whether to shut them in the shed tonight to leave them access to the run?
It is attached to the shed, is on concrete and as bricks on - they are all sat in the run now and think they will scrabble at the flap if i shut them in - they did this afternoon when I was trying to clean the shed out - but am i going to be worried all night?? panicking now with all this talk about foxes!!

CIMG2889.jpg

What shall i do?

:wave: Can foxes get in your garden easily? How about using the aviary panels round them aswell, do you have any metal playpens?

:wave: Can foxes get in your garden easily? How about using the aviary panels round them aswell, do you have any metal playpens?

Ive only got 2 panals and nothing to attach them to! I have no metal playpens hmmm. like others say they will be in it all day so no different at night - its just scary.
I keep going out and checking on them and keep thinking I can hear rustling - this is the first night on my own tonight as well - OH has gone out and I keep hearing creaking and scaring myself :?
arghhhhhhhhhhh

If it were me then I would not take the risk, just imagine if anything happened, you would never, ever forgive yourself would you

Shut them away and you know they are safe then

Do they have plenty of ventilation Kath? I've been shutting mine in because there is a very good chance we actually have a family of foxes next door, must ask the neighbours actually, it could be badgers we aren't sure yet, either way I've seen them running around and there are about 5 altogether if not living then visiting. The window is open into the aviary though but, it's also got weld mesh inside the window so very safe.

Those runs look fox proof to me, are they weld mesh? and given they can only get to two sides and the top you could lay the aviary panels across the top or on the floor and down the side?

If in doubt and they have air circulating then shut them in, if they will all go in, mine play with me, one comes in and the other is out, then they swap :roll: Little tykes.

Edited to add, signing off now, as Snowy says get them in if your worried providing they have air they will be fine till early morning, take the dog with you, he'll soon see any foxes off ! I love Jack Russells they have a tough little spirit like Staffies;):love:

Last edited:
I would shut them away while you still have the run attached, foxes can make easy work of runs... someone on here lost their buns in a run the other week :( Its not worth the risk, plus, its not as though its TINY inside, is it? Its a bunny palace!! :wave:

I leave mine with access to their runs all night. If I close them in the wendy houses they go mental and make noise all night. Snowdrop gets stressed digging at the flap which upsets her tummy and Strawbs starts eating litter if he doesnt have enough to do!

I have never seen a fox near my house and my runs are all double meshed and don't open.

I know their is a risk, but I belive its better for the health and wellbeing of my buns to have 24/7 access to their runs.

if it where me, i would shut them up at nght, better to be safe then sorry, especially if you have foxes nearby

Mine have aviary type runs attached to there shed they get to use them 24 hours a day they spend more time out there out night

Mine have aviary type runs attached to there shed they get to use them 24 hours a day they spend more time out there out night

Same with my pair. They snooze all day in their wendy houses and then use the runs more at night.

I sleep with my bedroom window open and they are right beneath the windows with solar lights on so I can see them.

There is no way a fox could break into the runs without me hearing it. I wake up several times a night to Strawbs chewing things or them running through their cat flaps.

:wave: thanks all, i did decide to shut them in last night - Im just a bit worried about that run, that it is a little flimsy. When I get the avairy run sorted out they will have 24hr access to that as I feel more confident it will be fox proof.

When I checked on them last night they were fine in the shed, and have actually spent most of the day sat in the shed anyway :roll:

:wave: thanks all, i did decide to shut them in last night - Im just a bit worried about that run, that it is a little flimsy. When I get the avairy run sorted out they will have 24hr access to that as I feel more confident it will be fox proof.

When I checked on them last night they were fine in the shed, and have actually spent most of the day sat in the shed anyway :roll:

:lol: bunnies

Same with my pair. They snooze all day in their wendy houses and then use the runs more at night.

I sleep with my bedroom window open and they are right beneath the windows with solar lights on so I can see them.

There is no way a fox could break into the runs without me hearing it. I wake up several times a night to Strawbs chewing things or them running through their cat flaps.

Yeah mine stay in the shed all day,even on a hot day when its cooler outside:lol:

Back