• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

e c in guinea pigs?

rabbitmum

Mama Doe
:wave: we have a suspected case of e c in one of our buns.. she and the other buns are being treated .but i was wondering if i have to worry about the piggies?
does anyone know of guineas getting this and if so do they have panacur as well?
thanks for reading this!
any thoughts?

As I understand it, in theory it can travel between species, but is far less of a problem in guinea pigs. EC is spread via urine spores, so you could ensure that rabbits and guinea pigs don't share the same floor/grass space etc.

they dont share the same floor space but the affected rabbit is next to 2 piggies..one of whom is 6 yo and has recently started to have problems with her back legs:(
i have been looking on the web and have seen that back leg paralysis is a sign.
but cant find any info on what the treatment would be ...
is it panacur? and in what dosage?
i know that piggies can have e c but are they just carriers?
thanks for replying sarah:)

I'm not sure what symptoms piggies with EC get, but it is something I did explore with my vet a few years ago when I had bunnies with EC (and all my piggies were unwell). He thought it was possible, but unlikely, that they had EC, and had never actually seen piggies with EC. They were treated with Panacur as a precautionary measure - it was the 10% solution, but I really can't remember the dosage. Piggies are usually wormed with the 2.5% solution, for regular worms.

I would suspect a calcium or vitamin D deficiency for the back leg symptoms. Is your piggy indoors? It might be that a lack of access to outdoor sunlight (the sun must be on the skin, not through windows) has caused a deficiency. Or it might be a lack of calcium in the diet.

If you or your vet suspect this, you can try this supplement:
http://www.sphsupplies.co.uk/produc...d=553&osCsid=11632d1d896da12c80e172eff2310644

The other possibility is arthritis etc.

thanks sarah...been talking to my piggie experts and they said that they would put money on arthritis..they also said that in all the years they had been dealing with guineas that they hadnt seen an e c guinea...

Back