• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox proofing on a budget... any ideas please??

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
It seems to be drawing closer that foxes will be more than likely in our gardens than any other time of the year... and I am a bit skint at the moment. In an ideal world I would love to buy a Foxwatch and some Skoot... but at the moment I'm not sure I could afford it.

Is there anything I can do to prevent foxes entering my garden? I have a security light which would go on if one entered the back garden where the bunnies have, and I currently cover the buns up and there all under lock and key by a padlock to the main area and the bedroom.

Just want to be fully prepared to prevent any attacks. I've been closing their runs off at 18:00pm as an added precaution.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lou xx

I would love those two products too, but like you can't afford it. I've had a fox in my garden this week after my buns :( even trying to dig under the patio slabs one of the hutches is on. I feel awful barricading them in as it must be like a prison but what can I do? As soon as it starts to go dark they are put to bed. I look out the window every so often and get out of bed to peer into the darkness at the smallest noise!!

Did you see my thread on the wooden shutters I made for my accommodation? That worked out quite cheap and the bunnies are very secure.

Did you see my thread on the wooden shutters I made for my accommodation? That worked out quite cheap and the bunnies are very secure.

That is amazing!

One question though... do you use a water bowl at night with the boards covering the front? Also, how much did it cost, roughly?

Sorry, that was two questions lol xx

That is amazing!

One question though... do you use a water bowl at night with the boards covering the front? Also, how much did it cost, roughly?

Sorry, that was two questions lol xx

I only use water bowls anyway so that wasnt a problem.

The wood is external ply 9mm and it came to about £25 for the wood. I had screws and nails and hinges (for the lid) anyway.

I only use water bowls anyway so that wasnt a problem.

The wood is external ply 9mm and it came to about £25 for the wood. I had screws and nails and hinges (for the lid) anyway.

Thank you for that info =]

Do you think it would help over the winter with insulation too? As I've been quoted £78 each for insulation hutch covers... I'd use a snugglesafe as well as the boards...

xx

Thank you for that info =]

Do you think it would help over the winter with insulation too? As I've been quoted £78 each for insulation hutch covers... I'd use a snugglesafe as well as the boards...

xx

I dont have any insulation. I have snugglesafes. The playhouses are carpeted. The wind cant get them. They are much more snug than they were last year so I am not worrying about insulation this winter.

(last winter they spent most of their time in their run on concrete in the snow.. this year they have the playhouse which has been added and the run is raised onto decking so it has to be warmer, especially with the run all enclosed of a night).

I dont have any insulation. I have snugglesafes. The playhouses are carpeted. The wind cant get them. They are much more snug than they were last year so I am not worrying about insulation this winter.

(last winter they spent most of their time in their run on concrete in the snow.. this year they have the playhouse which has been added and the run is raised onto decking so it has to be warmer, especially with the run all enclosed of a night).

That's good, last winter two of mine were in a 10ft x 5.5ft x 4ft converted dog kennel and the other two in a slightly smaller 5ft hutch which was 3ft x 3ft too. I'm planning on using loads of straw in the bedroom area and will place a snuggle safe in there too

xx

Back