• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question for REW owners

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I know REWs have more limited sight than others, but I'd be interest if anyone knows a bit more about how this actually affects them. :? My REW bunny, Spenser, has just started using the stairs in his hutch this week. He seems to be managing quite well :), but I take the stairs out at night and put the trapdoor in place as I am concerned he might fall down the hole.

Louie isn't a REW but is totally blind. He startles very easily, even when you talk to him as you come into the room sometimes. He manages amazingly well though he does sometimes lose his bearings in the garden and ends up somewhere he didn't want to be.

He also never jumps up on anything as he doesn't realise that he can. He does manage the garden steps though, but, as he is doing it by feel alone, he sometimes bashes his legs as he runs up.

He never goes upstairs in the house though as I suppose he hasn't realised he can.

I'm not sure if it affects all of them...my Apache is a REW but doesn't seem to have compromised eyesight - he can certainly perform some impressive leaps from one piece of furniture to another!

i found only through observation through my foster ones i had was that they scaned an area fist got used to where everything was and then found confidence to run round like a loon,

move anything though did make them wary more so if they run into an object that wasnt there before, one REW i had lived in my bedroom i left my door open and he didnt venture into the hall for 9 weeks and ironically my most house house trained bunny, though was parcial to nicking socks :lol:

Back