• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When is the best time to start bonding process after a spay?

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Holly was spayed a few days ago and seems to be recovering well. I have a set up in the garage waiting for her and Laurel to begin bonding them. The 2 areas are relatively small so she won't have too much space to run around and do herself an injury. It's basically one bigger pen divided in half with a wire panel so they can see each other but can't get to one another. How long should I leave it before I put them in the bonding pen?:wave: I don't want to start things too soon but forewarned is forearmed:lol:

Personally I would leave it for at least 2 weeks to allow internal healing.

Bare in mind that she will remain hormonal for several weeks after her spay. So you might be better off leaving it longer than 2 weeks to also allow her hormones to settle down.

Six weeks is usually the best time to wait for the hormones to die down, at least with males anyway, but it's probably the same for female hormones.

I would wait 6 weeks and have done with my does. Imagine being humped to an inche of your life by a very excited male only 2 weeks after a major operation :shock:

I would go for a month to 6 weeks aswell, that way it's more likely to work I think, things will have settled down much more by then.:wave:

Will do, thanks :) Nice to get advice from those who know. They won't be 'together' for a whiley yet but in seperate sides of a run until they get used to each other through 'bars' at first, so would you still recommend 6 weeks for that, or could they go into that situation a bit earlier but still wait 6weeks before trying them properly together? It's going to be my first ever same sex pairing too:)

Back