• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diarrhoea advice for Grimlock

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I woke up today to find that some bun had pooed all over my desk and bedroom, nice big squishy poos... At first I thought it must be Smoo and that she's found something to eat that she shouldn't have. But Grim's tummy is making the loudest noises I've ever heard and on further inspection his bum is pretty messy.

I'm not sure what would have caused it as he only eats pellets and I give him his pain killers (Loxicom) every day on a little bread. His diet has been the same for over year so either something else is causing it or he's eaten a rabbit treat (not sure how though, he has no front teeth and only a few back ones, it would have had to be something small) that hasn't agreed with him. Some bun had knocked my bin over but I think all that was in there was fur, some letters and a bit of excel forage. Smoo was probably after the forage so maybe Grim ate some of that, although he's never shown interest before.

Is there anything I can do for him to calm his tummy down at home? He's looking his normal self and has just been cleaning Smoo and running around. He's eaten and had his pain killers. His tummy is just making such loud noises. He's not the healthiest of bunnies anyway and just gets on with life no matter what's up with him, bless. I think the vets would give him a weird paste thing. Not sure what it's called but I had that before and I could not get it down him. I even put in on bread and he turned it away... :?
What else can the vets do? And is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Cheers.

:wave: does his tummy feel hard or can you feel "bubbles" of gas in there? if so he needs to go to the vet asap...

Just feels like a normal squidgy belly...
It stopped making noises for a bit but I had to clean his bum and he got a little stressed and it started gurgling again. Not sure if either are related. He's done one more diarrhoea poo that I can see since 2pm. I'm hoping it will all settle down and it's nothing serious. Poor Grims.

maybe just keep an eye on him for a while... when ours get yucky bums we just give them hay for 24 hrs and that normally sorts it..also some bio lapis in the water. its a probiotic, you can buy it in p@h
hope he feels better soon

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately he can't eat hay so I'll have to keep giving him the pellets. They're the excel junior as I soak them in water and they're small enough not to swell up too much. But excel are known for giving excess cecals...

Back