• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

treating syphilis (vent disease) whats your experience?

Its been confirmed that both buns have syphilis :( We think it was passed to Dolly through her mother.

Its being treated with 3 injections of penicillin over the course of 3 weeks, i was wondering if anyone else's buns have had syphilis and what side effects the antibiotics caused. I have heard that they can loose a lot of weight. Should i give them a few extra pellets? Im also thinking of buying some treat hay like excel herbage to encourage them to keep eating it as i really dont want the antibiotics causing diarrhoea.

Any ideas that will help keep the weight on?

Ive been told there is no point seperating them from eachother, however would it be possible for one to be inefection free before the other, and then be reinfected?

And finally, I got a receipt for £64 off the vet, but i only payed £32, im guessing they only charged me for one rabbit by mistake. Does £64 sound right for 2 injections of penicillin!? :shock:
I have to pay for another 4 more.

Would just like some help/advice and to hear other peoples experiences.

That treatment regime has worked for me. Well, I mean the effected Rabbits !!

The Depocillin is unlikely to cause a problem being given just once a week. You could add a good probiotic to the Rabbits water to help support healthy gut flora.
I would not mess with their diet and just insure they have a very good hay intake. I'd also avoid feeding fruit or carrots or any sugary 'treats'.

As for the cost................ :shock:

100ml Bottle only costs £10.49

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/depocillin_1_18741.html

That treatment regime has worked for me. Well, I mean the effected Rabbits !!

The Depocillin is unlikely to cause a problem being given just once a week. You could add a good probiotic to the Rabbits water to help support healthy gut flora.
I would not mess with their diet and just insure they have a very good hay intake. I'd also avoid feeding fruit or carrots or any sugary 'treats'.

As for the cost................ :shock:

100ml Bottle only costs £10.49

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/depocillin_1_18741.html

They wont let me inject it, i have to take them to the vets. Also, they said that they dont have the "usual" penicillin in but there is another one. When i find out what it is, i intend to call another vet for advice. Although, im not sure they would want to treat them if they have already started treatment at a different practice?

I get so stressed out whenever i have to see a vet, even over the simplest of things. I just feel uneasy and like im being taken for a ride. It shouldnt be like this, i should have every confidence in my vet, but i dont!! :censored:

The thing im most worried about is:

Ive been told there is no point seperating them from eachother, however would it be possible for one to be inefection free before the other, and then be reinfected?

And finally, I got a receipt for £64 off the vet, but i only payed £32, im guessing they only charged me for one rabbit by mistake. Does £64 sound right for 2 injections of penicillin!? :shock:

Would just like some help/advice and to hear other peoples experiences.

can anyone help with this?

As long as they are both being treated, with a three x weekly penicillin course there wont be a problem.
Did you let the person know,who took the rabbit you had staying with you that your buns have syph?

Do you mean the bill for the two rabbits was £64? A receipt is only given as proof that x amount has been paid, so if the bill was for £64, and you paid £32, I guess you still owe £32?
It does sound a lot, but you've paid for two consults, as well as the medication. They shouldn't charge the full consult fee for the next two lots of penicillin.

Do you mean the bill for the two rabbits was £64? A receipt is only given as proof that x amount has been paid, so if the bill was for £64, and you paid £32, I guess you still owe £32?It does sound a lot, but you've paid for two consults, as well as the medication. They shouldn't charge the full consult fee for the next two lots of penicillin.

The bill was £64 and ive paid £32, but thats all the receptionist asked for :lol: ... ill keep quiet and see what happens. Normally, id feel really guilty, but they make ridiculous amounts of profits, i doubt theyll miss £32.

I think the problem was that the consultation was for 1 rabbit, i rang up to say i was bringing them both, but they didnt change it on the computer. I think the receptionist assumed i had just the one as the vet was still addinf notes to the system? :?

I hope not!! I was really worried, ive locked my wages in a petty cash tin and given the key to mum! :lol:

I still dont have a lot of confidence in them, and i know this is how it works but its really annoying how most of the time, i seem to tell them what the problem is!! :roll: ... and have to pay for it.

That does seem a bit much! My vet tends to charge about £4 or £5 to give an injection and the cost of the drug is pennies. You'd expect a consult fee for your first appointment, but I wouldn't expect to pay a further consult fee for the future appointments for just the injection

That does seem a bit much! My vet tends to charge about £4 or £5 to give an injection and the cost of the drug is pennies. You'd expect a consult fee for your first appointment, but I wouldn't expect to pay a further consult fee for the future appointments for just the injection

If i minus the consultation fee then its £10.50ish

Back