• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adoption advice

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
I've been looking at rescues for a friend for Lucky and i've 3 possible options.

1 in Swansea (90 min drive) that want us to go and take Lucky on a nice dry day. They've got about 5 rabbits in that are all suitable candidates. They want to let Lucky in the runs with each of them to see who he likes best.

I'm worried about the journey for him - it might be too stressful?? Will he not be himself when we get there and act differently anyways??

The other option is Newport rescue who has 1 suitable candidate and we can visit any-time with Lucky. Not sure how they work tho - they want to see Lucky to make sure the rabbits get on. It's only a 40 min drive.

The last option is a cat lady in the town who takes in any unwanted animals - we just go and chose what we like the look of. :shock:

What should we do? I'm really confused as to whats best for him (and the new one).

Where abouts in South Wales are you?
Could you not let Lucky go speed dating where he is away for a few days at a good rescue?
Gives you time to neutrelise his area and if the first doe and him do not get on they can try a 2nd

I'm in the Vale of Glamorgan - it's just outside Cardiff.

The Swansea and Newport ones are the closest i think.

I dont know of rescues where this happens - is there a list somewhere?

I just want whats best for the bunnies - the worst case scenario is bringing them home and finding out they dont get on. :shock:

I just want whats best for the bunnies - the worst case scenario is bringing them home and finding out they dont get on. :shock:

A decent rescue will give you support and take back the girl if they don't get along and will let you try with another should they have one that's suitable. I'd avoid the cat lady to be honest.

Thanks. I've contacted 2 other rescues that are Bristol and Gloucestershire and just waiting to hear back.

I'd avoid the cat lady to be honest.

I agree with this.

I would be tempted to take him to the other rescue if there are no other closer options. Is he an easily stressed bun? My two cope fine with travel though they haven't been anywhere more than a hour away. I took Charlee to meet Noah and that was a good 40-60 minutes away. Having 5 different possible buddies to pair him up with means that you have a much higher likelihood of getting the perfect match :D

Thats true.

He hates travel tbh. It does stress him out. He doesnt like to be held either so he can look like a nasty little man but he's not really. He just likes things on his terms. :lol:

He'd have to go in a petbox for his journey or he'd be jumping all over us. I dont like those things but he has one as a toy - he goes in it to hide and spy on us. (i think he thinks we cant see him when he's in there and he peeks out of the side) :lol:

I just had a call from a breeder who has 8 8week old babies - she'd let me have one for £20 and even drop it down. :shock: I politely declined saying that i'd prefer a rescue bunny instead.

Hello :wave:

Is the rescue you've contacted in Gloucestershire Windwhistle Warren?

http://www.windwhistlewarren.org.uk/

It's run by Alice and is a great rescue. It's on the Welsh side of the river so may not be that far from you?

We took our Smudge there for speed dating more than 2 years ago and he met Suzi and they've been living happily together ever since.

Hope Lucky is lucky in finding love!

Thank you so much for that! :D

I contacted the RSPCA in Gloucester - their small animals centre is actually in quarantine due to a virus but they gave me a Gloucester number for a lady called Alice who they highly recommended as a rabbit rescue and re-homing centre.

It sounds like the same person. I tried phoning yesterday but it was engaged - and i dont like to bother people on weekends because i'm always mindful that doing something like this can make it feel like a 24/7 job. I think i'll go on the site and see if i can send an email.

Thank you soo much for the website! :D

Alice is Alicechamberlain on here so you could try PMing her. Not sure how often she gets time to come on here though!

Also, I think she normally does have more bunnies than are shown on her website.

Alice is Alicechamberlain on here so you could try PMing her. Not sure how often she gets time to come on here though!

Also, I think she normally does have more bunnies than are shown on her website.

I emailed them and had a reply from someone who helps out at the rescue and you're right- they have many more rabbits than they have listed on the site.

I like the sound of the rescue but I don't know if I'll be good enough for them! :oops:

Back