• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat Fleas and Bunnies

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
My two cats have fleas :( I have treated them both with frontline spot on today, but my worry is that the cats go in my garden where the bunnies are.. what are the risk to the bunnies and is it very likely?

I am so annoyed their flea treatment lapsed. I have spent so much time ovr the summer with the bunnies after Twinkle was ill that the flea treatment completely slipped my mind. This is the first time I have ever had to deal with fleas since I got my cats 6 years ago :(

My two cats have fleas :( I have treated them both with frontline spot on today, but my worry is that the cats go in my garden where the bunnies are.. what are the risk to the bunnies and is it very likely?

I am so annoyed their flea treatment lapsed. I have spent so much time ovr the summer with the bunnies after Twinkle was ill that the flea treatment completely slipped my mind. This is the first time I have ever had to deal with fleas since I got my cats 6 years ago :(

I know that lice are specific to species so I was just wondering if fleas are too...?

Fleas seem to be going nuts at the moment. Yes your rabbits can become infested by fleas from the cats, and I suppose the most obvious risk is myxi. I use Advantage to treat mine, if they pick any up.

Fleas seem to be going nuts at the moment. Yes your rabbits can become infested by fleas from the cats, and I suppose the most obvious risk is myxi. I use Advantage to treat mine, if they pick any up.

So should I just wait and see or treat the bunnies anyway?

Grim has got fleas from cats before. He used to play with them but round here they're all riddled. Smoo doesn't like cats and chases them off and he's not had fleas since she came to live with us. :lol:

Autumn is prime time for myxi, so might be worth treating them. And they probably already have them if they're in close proximity to the cats or anything the cats use.

It's definitely flea time of year!

I'm down staying at my dad's with the bunnies and was eaten alive the first few days I was here (all the extra Oestrogen in my body being pregnant)! Even though there is no cat at the moment and hasn't been for a few weeks, my dad sometimes lets one of the farm cats snooze in the house so it must have been Mog's fleas eggs just hatched or something. Mog is certainly not welcome whilst I'm here!

Been checking the bun's fur daily but so far nothing. They aren't really in the rooms that Mog was ever allowed in and guess the flea eggs can only survive in the warm and not out on the lawn. Never been bitten here before ever! Obviously a big flea season this year!

Fleas are pretty host specific, needing cat blood to keep the life cycle going I think (or dog) but buns can get them if the cats are still around playing host. You really need to treat cats, rabbits if they have them (Advantage ONLY as Mudgy says - only licensed flea product for rabbits in the UK) and also put some powder/spray down around where your cats like to sleep etc to kill the life cycle. Most powders are pemethrin so keep away from buns and wear gloves/wash hands. Bob Martin does a household vacuum flea powder in most Supermarkets. :wave:

I have frontlined both cats, and have been cleaning like mad indoors this morning. All floors are laminate downstairs so I have hoovered and washed floors, hoovered sofas, all bedding is off beds and awaiting washing. Been wiping down all surfaces to get as much "flea stuff" gone. Will hoover carpets upstairs shortly.

The cats dont have much contact with the bunnies. The cats are only outside for a couple of hours a day max (bunnies outside), and they dont really even go on the penned areas of grass that the bunnies have.

The only worry I have is that Chloe (cat) did wander into Twinkle/Sparkle's playhouse the other day and was in there being nosey for about one minute...

I cant believe I let the frontline slip this summer - I am so annoyed at myself, but have been so wrapped up in the bunnies that I havent been paying much attention to the cats :oops:

my cats always have fleas! i front line them and they still have fleas! i think it is because they hang around with a stray cat who gives them the fleas back. I frontlined him too in the hope that they will go away. Fortunately my rabbits haven't got them, i checked them and haven't seen any flea dirt or fleas on them so i hope they are OK. My rabbits do scratch a bit though, not sure if this is normal or more than normal. would it be worth treating the rabbits just in case?

i took in two straggly litle kittens four years ago and they were riddled with fleas! i tried frontline,,,,,bloomin useless.

bif had a flea on her when i went to the vets a week later..i was sooo embarressed.

right four years on..ive lost my kitty salem and my bunny bif...but still have zuzu.
she sits outside talking to other cats between the cat proffing.

hers what worked for me......i never ever had another flea in my house after that..and touch wood never have since!

first of all..ditch the frontline.......instead buy ADVANTAGE you can use it safely on both cats and buns.......
at the same time give the cats some capstar tablets they help a lot! repeat the advantage the next week.

i use a steam cleaner...blasts the flea eggs...and actually manage to permeate the egg "shell" whereas these chemicals dont...i have ben there years ago believe you me!!

i am fleas fave nom nom nom.....i can come home with fleas and flea bites whilst out shopping. id stopped to pet a dog and went hone with a huge ginger dog flea eating my hand....:shock:

You can, but you'll need a prescription first, so will probably work out more expensive than buying directly from your vet.

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/advantage-40-for-cats-rabbits-and-dogs-less-than-4kg_1_17617.html

Ok its a vet medicine... I found a tiny flea on one cat tonight.. last night I found a big one!

I will see how she is over the weekend and if I think the fleas have not been killed off I will go and ask the vet for Advantage. I am not sure how soon I can use a new one, after using Frontline..

well i have ordered many times from here..showed my old vet too..she was impressed.

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=165_6_21&products_id=116

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=165_6_268&products_id=848

ellen says in holland they used selamectin on mites in bunnies..i told her..not here they wont!:lol:
but you can get that too.
http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=165_6_159&products_id=384

nikkis bought drontal tabs online somehwere else but before i have got them here and ive been tmepted by the generic version too.

Back