• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Damp hay

Grace65

Warren Veteran
I just bought a bale of the most green lush hay from the farm shop, hubby put it into the car we gets home and its damp!
it smells fresh and new so do i bin it or leave it to dry? its obviously got wet in the barn, what would you do? xxx

I'd leave it to dry. The last lot we got from the farm was a bit dampish but soon dried out.

Just check it well before you use it,Ive just had to throw half a bale away as it was damp i left it to dry but when i went to use it, it had white mould on it:(

I throw bales like this, but then I'm not one for taking chances. I'd never forgive myself if I took the risk and they got ill.

Best thing is to cut it open and check each slice for mould. If it's not mouldy you can fluff it up so it dries and store it in megazorb bags or even an old duvet cover

I throw bales like this, but then I'm not one for taking chances. I'd never forgive myself if I took the risk and they got ill.

Thats what i was thinking for the sake of £4 id sooner throw it, what a shame it smells gorgeous aswell. xxx

Best thing is to cut it open and check each slice for mould. If it's not mouldy you can fluff it up so it dries and store it in megazorb bags or even an old duvet cover

I have got the whole bale in a duvet cover in the conservatory at the mo, i have opened up the bale but he feels damp in the middle too, im sort of fluffing it up and have left it loose but i need to use it now and dont want to make my buns ill. xxx

I have got the whole bale in a duvet cover in the conservatory at the mo, i have opened up the bale but he feels damp in the middle too, im sort of fluffing it up and have left it loose but i need to use it now and dont want to make my buns ill. xxx

Do you have a garage or shed where you can leave it to dry out?

Must just be me that doesnt worry then :shock:

I dont know i was going to use it so i opened the bale up cut off the string and it seems damp inside too :shock: im just worried about it developing spores, whats the worse that can happen if they inhale or eat it? xxx

If you don't mind it hanging around for a while until it's dry, then the conservatory would be ideal

I store my bales in the conservatory anyway but i still darent use it now, can it really make my buns poorly?
i bought some oxbow and excel hay today so will use those for tonight. xxx

Back