• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny passed away

tcm

New Kit
Our 10yr old bunny Mr Brown passed away this morning. We got up to find him lying on the floor breathing slowing and unable to get up. We said our goodbyes and told him how much we loved him, with lots of hugs and tears. The vet wanted to put him to sleep 2 months ago, but i knew he wasnt ready to go. I'm so grateful for getting the extra time with him.

His brother Mr White has been with him all day licking him and sitting beside him.

Can anyone give advice on how long we should leave them to be together?

Sorry I can't give you any advice on this, as only have one bun, but I am so sorry for your loss and glad you had the chance to say goodbye properly. R.I.P Mr Brown.

I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you got to spend some extra special time with him.

No advice on how long to leave him if he is still with him, sorry. The must have really loved each other.

i'm sorry for your loss. sleep tight mr brown x

i'm really not sure how long you would leave them together... i think until mr white accepts the loss and starts to leave the mr brown alone.. i think.. think this will mean he has accepted it, although he may be down for some time after i think, depends on the buns, but they have been together a long time so must be very close. someone will be along soon who knows.

really sorry :cry:

so sorry

hi am so sorry to hear that your mr brown passed away....
what a great age though...he was obviously well loved and cared for...
my thoughts are with you at this very sad time...
rabbit mum

Sorry to hear about mr brown :( wat a great name he had, and judging by his age a great owner too :) I would think mr white would have realised when he didn't get any response from his grooming :( I only give them an hour or so, as I worry about flies and any bacteria. Plus one of our bucks wee-ed on his departed girl and tried to hump her body. Guess he thought that would get her to respond if nothing else. Bless. Could you look to getting mr white a companion after a week or so? With his age he may get depressed being alone, it would be awful if he decided to give up before his time. Sorry I don't mean to sound disrespectful of your loss, not at all. But it's so sad for him to be without another bun to love, or at least admire from a short distance :( sorry again about your lovely mr brown x x

so sorry for your loss, but what a great age, obviously a very happy and content bunny who loved you very much. binky free mr brown.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.
I'm sure Mr Brown would have lived for years more if it wasnt for his teeth. I think the roots just kept growing. Is this a usual problem for lops??
Mr White is getting lots of attention and hugs. He's missing his brother lots.

my word what a good age and oh my even more for a dental lop:shock:
shows hat a wonderful mumy he had.

bless him im so so sorry......i know it bad enough with younger buns.....:(

keep an eye on mr white..when oscar died hed died overnight and bif was running orund the lounge then nudging him and trying to wake him up....we left her with his body until she moved away..then we let her watch us wrap his body in a towel and put it in a carrier to take to the vets...she accpeted that.
however she pined very very badly....he died monday...she decided on the friday she had nothing to live for..she stopepd eating i was feeding her....it was heartbreaking. tea time the lady called about borrowing her bun to see if he could get her up and about again brought him up. he did the trick..in fact when he met her he oh so gently washed all her face and head as if he were washing away her pain:love: of course i ended up adopting him.as bif and he were bonding :oops:

bif has passed away...been pts three weeks ago....she was a dental rescue bun and she was at least 6yrs old.

i hope your boy is able to cope..if not id advise a bunny friend...even if its just through the bars......i know others will say mr white is too old to handke the hassle of bonding but this is just friendship.

binky free mr brown....say hello to bif for me xx

hugs for you hun...its never easy.watching a pining bunny.

Back