• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Cookie E.C bun

karen354

Warren Veteran
Cookie was diagnosed a few weeks ago with E.C he spent time in the hospital and nearly died :cry: he fought hard and came home :) but was very poorly, we basically cared for him as a newborn baby :( our family holiday was cancelled but my children were fine about it they wanted Cookie to get better.
My hubby :love: got up with him at 5am every morning to give him his meds and luckily I was on holiday so I could care for him through out the day.
5 days ago we put him in the garden I think he was getting sick of his small 'hospital bed ' he couldn't walk at all he lay down most of the time :( anyway he quite liked the garden so we decided to try him back with his wife bun Sally, we were very worried if things would work because he had not seen Sally for 5 weeks ..
Things went well very well :D it was like they had never been apart. So we decided to put him in back in his shed with Sally( he had been in the house for weeks)
Everyday he's been out with Sally in the garden he's getting stronger and stronger. Tonight he's started to run around the garden we were amazed because days before he could hardly stand.
His head tilt is still pretty bad but better than it was. We were told to stop panacur and all other meds but we've kept going with the panacur will that be okay ?

Ah, Karen that is lovely news. He sounds like a real fighter. I do think that they pull strength from their partners at times of need.

I hope he continues to improve :love:

That is really positive news :)

Personally I would follow the Vets advice re the Panacur and stop it as long as he completed a 28 day course.

:wave: Really good to hear another positive EC story and well done to you all for all taking such good care of Cookie to get him through it!

I think you should finish the 28 days of panacur and from my experience of EC that came back when I stopped giving meds I would err on the side of caution and carry on a little bit longer with the other meds.

Thank you :D He's by the shed door waiting to come out again :love: I'll get some pictures today and post them on here.

This is such great news. I know exactly how it feels when you see those little baby steps in the right direction.

This update has brought a wee tear to my eye, as it has made me remember how elated i felt when i seen my Kermit getting through EC. I have now had 2 buns with EC, one with head tilt and one with hind leg weakness. Both got through it. It is a horrible illness, and it is so good when they come through it.

I am really pleased for you and Cookie x

I'm glad Cookie is responding well to treatment. I'm sure being back with Sally will help him enormously on his path to recovery xx

Such good news :D
It really reminds me of when my Mimi had head tilt. It was a horrific time but seeing her get it better was worth all the blood, sweat and tears (all mine!) ;)
With Mimi her head very slowly returned to semi normal over a period of weeks after she started regaining her balance. shes still abit wobbly sometimes and has a very slight residual tilt but it doesnt affect her life in anyway :D
Well done for getting him through it:wave:

Last edited:
Back