• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit babies 2.

My rabbit has had babies .
We have seperated the buck from them .
how old do the babies need to be before we can put the buck back in ? .

My advice would be not to put the buck back until he has been neutered,rabbits mate again as soon as babies are born so your doe is very likely to be pregnant again already.

My rabbit has had babies .
We have seperated the buck from them .
how old do the babies need to be before we can put the buck back in ? .

When did you remove the Buck ?
If he was with the Doe when she gave birth he is likely to have impregnated her again already.

The Kits should stay with the Doe for 8 weeks and the Buck needs to be kept separate from them

Unless you get the Buck neutered he will impregnate any entire Doe he comes into contact with and that would include any Does in the litter just born once they reach about 14-16 weeks.

My advice would be to get the Buck neutered whilst the Doe raises the litter.

The buck can only go back in with mum at least 8 weeks after his neuter, and at least a week or two after mum has weaned the kits (which happens at 8-10 weeks).

You can't put the buck in with the babies at all. He will need to be neutered immediatly. The babies will be weaned at 8 weeks, and can then be rehomed. At this time mum can be spayed. Wait another 6 weeks for her hormones to calm down, then reintroduce the neutered buck (on neutral ground). :)

Back