• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buy a run and get free unwanted rabbit

Hopper

Mama Doe
Ive been looking on free ad sites for rabbit runs for our rescue rabbits in foster homes. I saw a real bargain for a massive metal run with roof at £20!! Of course wanted to snap it up. So off we go to collect it to find rabbit is wanted, poor bunnies hutch sold and now the run :( was told as we are a rescue if we took the bunny we could have the run free.. i was going to take bunny anyway as poor thing was unwanted and not even any shelter out doors :( Apperently bought from P@H, was told male but is female, was told it was a small rabbit and would not grow big, would be like a nethie size.. doesnt like being picked up and kicks out scratching the kids so kids lost interest.. They said it is a giant :?

So now named bridgette is settling in ready to go to foster home where she will be spayed, and vacced, chipped here. She is lovely though not being used to handled and a little nervouse at the moment. There was a foot inch of shavings and rabbit mix food, asking where the hay was we got the answer she has never had hay or straw!! :shock::( Bridgette is only 8 to 9 months..

bridgette3.jpg

bridgette2.jpg

bridgette1.jpg

:wave:Thats incredibly sad but, I have a feeling they are telling porkies, if PAH mis sex an animal they will offer to swap it, compensate with vouchers for neutering etc etc and I am speaking from experience, not me but, this has happened to someone I know and the customer service could not have been better, the level of compensation is fabulous into hundreds of pounds consisting of a new hutch, playpen, rabbit (as the original one was supposed to be paired with a male and has turned out to be male but, they couldn't part with it as already attached), vaccinations done free etc can't fault it honestly they have been excellent. Also they do give leaflets detailing all the basic requirements for your rabbit and it does explain that hay should be the main part of the bun's diet.

They are human at the end of the day, even vets sexing very young rabbits may say 90% sure - but, will cover themselves.

This sounds like a story they have come up with to deflect the attention from them not giving two hoots about the rabbit anymore I think.

Well done you, she is beautiful and better off out of there for sure.

Last edited:
Isn't it Pets At Home's responsibility? I thought they promised to take rabbits back if their owners didn't want to? I'd contact them at least and see if you can get some vouchers or something, to help towards the cost of everything. Of course, there's no proof it WAS a P@H bunny, but how do they proove that anyway when somebody brings one of their rabbits back to the store? :?

Isn't it Pets At Home's responsibility? I thought they promised to take rabbits back if their owners didn't want to? I'd contact them at least and see if you can get some vouchers or something, to help towards the cost of everything. Of course, there's no proof it WAS a P@H bunny, but how do they proove that anyway when somebody brings one of their rabbits back to the store? :?

I don't think 8-9 months later a rescue would have much hope of getting compensation now :? They know because you get a receipt - when you take the bun for vaccinations the vet will examine the rabbit, as we know sometimes the very small young babies retain the 'male' bits till they are a bit older - I think this is where a lot of the confusion comes in, it's usually people adopting females that end up with a male though I thought not the other way round:?

if PAH mis sex an animal they will offer to swap it,

Fair enough

compensate with vouchers for neutering etc etc

They could get round this by telling all new owners that they should neuter their rabbit as soon as it is old enough then they wouldn't have to provide vouchers for neutering if they got the sex wrong. I think this is a much better plan but I think they don't go for this course of action as it would put a lot of people off buying rabbits if they knew there was an extra expense.

Its amazing how many buns are for sale that are around the 8 month mark. Thats obviously how long it takes people to get sick of them after the kids have lost interest!

Fair enough

They could get round this by telling all new owners that they should neuter their rabbit as soon as it is old enough then they wouldn't have to provide vouchers for neutering if they got the sex wrong. I think this is a much better plan but I think they don't go for this course of action as it would put a lot of people off buying rabbits if they knew there was an extra expense.

No Rhiann they do tell all rabbit owners as far as I am aware, the vouchers are given to all people when buying a bunny to be used with the 'in-store' vet practice, it doesn't cover the whole cost of neutering but, goes towards the cost :wave:

No Rhiann they do tell all rabbit owners as far as I am aware, the vouchers are given to all people when buying a bunny to be used with the 'in-store' vet practice.:wave:

Great idea. Never bought a pet from there so didn't realise they did this. Is it all stores or just your local one? Most stores round here don't have a vet in them.

Great idea. Never bought a pet from there so didn't realise they did this. Is it all stores or just your local one? Most stores round here don't have a vet in them.

Oh I'm not sure then, I'd hoped it was a national policy thing :? The vouchers are only able to be used in the in-store vet's aswell so not sure how that works in places without practices inside?

Ahh no, sorry should of explained better.. They thought she was a he all the time, it was us taking her finding out he is actualy a she, they werent bothered either way.. As for taking her back to the store, the rabbit has never been vacced or to a vet whilst with them, they cant be bothered to take her back, gosh they even sold her hutch and left her with no shelter :( P@H told them it was a mini lop and wouldnt grow any bigger than a nethie.. They were advised about neutering and such but decided once they bought the bun for there children they obviously couldnt be bothered :roll::(

Ahh no, sorry should of explained better.. They thought she was a he all the time, it was us taking her finding out he is actualy a she, they werent bothered either way.. As for taking her back to the store, the rabbit has never been vacced or to a vet whilst with them, they cant be bothered to take her back, gosh they even sold her hutch and left her with no shelter :( P@H told them it was a mini lop and wouldnt grow any bigger than a nethie.. They were advised about neutering and such but decided once they bought the bun for there children they obviously couldnt be bothered :roll::(

Ahh yes that makes more sense, she is very pretty - I am sure she won't be waiting long, she is very like my first bunny actually :love: I hope she will find a loving home soon :love::love:

She was running loose in the garden anyway so i assume they were just going to keep her like that, looking on preloved now I found the hutch ad and it says with or with out the rabbit, obviously went without rabbit.. I guess they would of perhaps put her on the ad sites or something or just let her roam the garden??

Well done for taking her she is beautiful. Sounds like Tia was when we first got her, got a way to go but she is getting there. :love:

Back