• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Important Notice - change of contact RIN

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hello :wave:

I'm off for a couple of weeks, please can you contact Tamsin or one of the other mods regarding posting your rabbits in this section.

Many Thanks

Aww, they allowing you free-range time finally SOAD? :)

Hope you enjoy your time away :wave:

Awwww thanks really loads, I am hopefully get loads of pics, I have never even seen a shark in real life. :shock:

Awwww thanks really loads, I am hopefully get loads of pics, I have never even seen a shark in real life. :shock:

I have seen some in aquariums. :lol: Been eye to eye with a big barracuda while snorkeling, though. Scary looking fish. :shock:

Are you going to the penguin beach, too?

ooooh my goodness - its SA Durban you are off to isnt it!?
Cant believe you already going - I kept thinking you would email asking loadsa questions - sorry Ive not emailed you with anything...wasnt sure what you wanted to do out there...or time available!

When I dived there - I was 21 metres down & a 3mtr. tiger shark circled us for about 15 minutes....terrifying but exhilirating! Was very happy to climb out after equalising!:shock::lol:

Have a fantastic time!

Some tips:
Dont wander round at night if you dont know the area or are not with people who know the area.
lock your doors whilst driving & keep a beady eye out at traffic lights - car windows mostly up so a hand cant grab your bag!
Dont go to a cash machine at night..

:D

Sorry sounds scary but is the norm out there...

Great places to visit if you have time:
Durban aquarium...they have done it up loads & apparently if really great to visit.

There is a burger/kinda cafe place on the beach front side - I think it is near the aquarium & the shark tank wall is in the cafe - so you can eat your burger whilst a shark is swimming past - pretty cool!

Durban marina is also really nice to visit - there is local craft stores & local wares for sale - - often drummers & wood carvers, etc - nice place to wander around & have lunch...

Opposite Musgrave Centre - in Durban there is (or used to be) Essenwood Market...was great - but Im sure if oyu ask around People will tell you where best currently market is for a day about town.

North Beach is the main beach ...but there is "private" beaches where u pay a small amount to be in a secure area - nice for your bags etc....and shopping malls.

There is a great Bird park - Umgeni River Bird Park - not far from durbs that is also nice day out.
http://www.umgeniriverbirdpark.co.za/about.html

You can go inland - it is a drive of about 30-45 mins - to visit Hillcrest Heritage market - great place to see local shops & eat lunch...then continue on to "Valley of a thousand Hills" - absolutely beautiful...and you can visit Shaka's Kraal....there is an amazing village of zulu huts & you see them dance & learn about their culture....really good day out...or even an afternoon drive.
http://www.sa-venues.com/things-to-do/kwazulunatal/detail.php?id=362

There is also the town of Waterfall - 7kms outside of Hillcrest...follow Inanda Road....and then turn down link road...you will come to Kloof gorge - amazing views & great place for a picnic lunch.

oooh thing to eat - typical SA food:
Boere-wors rolls: Big sausage - used alot in BBQ (braais in SA slang) in a roll with tomoto sauce & onions.
Biltong - dried meat
Fudge - the real kind made with condensed milk.
Rottie: Like a fajita...filled with your own choice - chips/curry etc...late night laspit stop kinda food!:lol:
Milk Tart - custard type tart....very yummy.
Koek-sisters: A sweet pastry dipped in syrup ....very nice!

Hope this is useful - have a great time out there - you lucky thing!:wave::D

I'm such a plonker just noticed this :oops::oops:, well I had a great time, although it seems like a million years ago now :oops::lol::lol:

I'm such a plonker just noticed this :oops::oops:, well I had a great time, although it seems like a million years ago now :oops::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:Thats ok - i just thought you had gone already! Glad you had a good time! I miss is loads...its so beautiful there....sigh now they going into summer too!:roll: wish we were!:lol:

Back