• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are housing requirements getting too strict?

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Since some of you are aware, I enquired about two of the baby Lymington buns, Julie and Jordan, currently at Wood green. They won't hold them until I get back, so I'll have to hope they are still available in November. I expect they will be taken by then though.:cry::cry::cry:

But I took a look at their factsheet:

"Ideally the best set up for keeping rabbits is giving them free run of the garden with access to a shed or hutch, providing the garden is completely secure."

Well, ours isn't 100% secure and anyway we have loads of bulb plants, which would be poisonous or they'd get behind the shed or into the borders and we'd never find them. Plus there are lots of cats, not to mention next door's dog (although with our new fence on that side and the dog not really living there as far as we can see, that at least is not a big problem now).

"If this is not an option, you will need a run, including a shelter big enough for the rabbits to cuddle up in, out of the elements. The shelter does not have to be the traditional hutch but needs to be correctly sized for the breed and number of rabbits you adopt. The run needs to be a minimum size of 10ft x 5ft x 4ft. Runs should be constructed of galvanished wire mesh and NOT chicken wire. If for any reason the rabbits need to be enclosed overnight you will need a hutch of at least 5ft x 2ft x 2ft (rabbits are more active at dusk and dawn so we prefer for them to have access to the run 24 hours a day)."

This is even more stringent than Martlesham' requirements!!! At the moment, the aviary is 6ft by 5ft by 5ft with some platforms. The kennel is 8ft by 4 ft by 5 ft. So together that should just about meet the minimum requirements, but not while they are seperated. I've asked for clarity on this point- would we meet their housing requirements?

I have to ask the question, with so many rabbits in need of forever homes, being PTS because there's no room in rescues, surely some of these requirements are just getting a bit OTT? :? Another thing, it wouldn't be so bad if all rescues could agree one set of housing requirements, but I've had two homechecks now, the first one for PACT and the kennel was considered to be plenty of room on its own. The second one for the RSPCA which was only okay after we got the aviary in place, which is fine because we needed an area we could keep seperate for the third bun. But not I wonder if we're faced with another set of requirements to meet? :(

Last edited:
Thats the 50sqft that that RSPCA ask for, but put in a different way. I would say that you should tell them you have had and passed a home visit for the RSPCA and give them permission to liaise. I suspect all would be fine.

Last edited:
Since some of you are aware, I enquired about two of the baby Lymington buns, Julie and Jordan, currently at Wood green. They won't hold them until I get back, so I'll have to hope they are still available in November. I expect they will be taken by then though.:cry::cry::cry:

But I took a look at their factsheet:

"Ideally the best set up for keeping rabbits is giving them free run of the garden with access to a shed or hutch, providing the garden is completely secure."

Well, ours isn't 100% secure and anyway we have loads of bulb plants, which would be poisonous or they'd get behind the shed or into the borders and we'd never find them. Plus there are lots of cats, not to mention next door's dog (although with our new fence on that side and the dog not really living there as far as we can see, that at least is not a big problem now).

"If this is not an option, you will need a run, including a shelter big enough for the rabbits to cuddle up in, out of the elements. The shelter does not have to be the traditional hutch but needs to be correctly sized for the breed and number of rabbits you adopt. The run needs to be a minimum size of 10ft x 5ft x 4ft. Runs should be constructed of galvanished wire mesh and NOT chicken wire. If for any reason the rabbits need to be enclosed overnight you will need a hutch of at least 5ft x 2ft x 2ft (rabbits are more active at dusk and dawn so we prefer for them to have access to the run 24 hours a day)."

This is even more stringent than Martlesham' requirements!!! At the moment, the aviary is 6ft by 5ft by 5ft with some platforms. The kennel is 8ft by 4 ft by 5 ft. So together that should just about meet the minimum requirements, but not while they are seperated. I've asked for clarity on this point- would we meet their housing requirements?

I have to ask the question, with so many rabbits in need of forever homes, being PTS because there's no room in rescues, surely some of these requirements are just getting a bit OTT? :?

Rabbit residence in Royston is more strict. You have to have a 6ft hutch there with a run no smaller than 10ft x 6ft and I think you have to provide a run this size whether you free range them or not.

To be honest I wouldn't keep my guys cooped up in their 10ft x 4ft kennel all day as they chew the bars trying to get out on the odd occasion I need to keep them in. Could you not just make sure a part of your garden is secure for free range time?

ETA reading again what you have said then you have got 8x4 = 32sqft + 6x5=30 . 32+30 =62 sqft so what's the problem? Maybe there a bit bit of miscommunication as far as I'm aware regarding the rules you need to provide 50sqft for Wood Green requirements which can include the hutch inside the run.

Last edited:
10x5x4 does seem a little restrictive - they will really restrict who can rehome buns if thats the case unfortunately :(

I'd fail miserably - my garden is only about that size!

Rabbit residence in Royston is more strict. You have to have a 6ft hutch there with a run no smaller than 10ft x 6ft and I think you have to provide a run this size whether you free range them or not.

To be honest I wouldn't keep my guys cooped up in their 10ft x 4ft kennel all day as they chew the bars trying to get out on the odd occasion I need to keep them in. Could you not just make sure a part of your garden is secure for free range time?

No, not really, there's too many poisonous things, plus the cats, that's why I bring them in in the evenings, they free range in the downstairs from about 5PM to 10Pm most days. :D

They seem very happy in their kennel to be honest and as it's got split levels they can run about to their hearts' content.

:D Mine are dwarfs. I doubt the cats would hurt them but I wouldn't want to take the chance. I couldn't keep G&T safe in their run because of that :censored: dog, so I wouldn't want to take the chance with any more buns. Hope you understand, that's why we got them the kennel/aviary.

I can see your point, but I think those policies are ace. It bugs me when people think a cat needs total freedom, but a bunny in a box is ok

If a Rescue strongly believes in something, I think they should stick to it as they will only regret it when they compromise & there's a million other Rescues you can adopt from with less restrictions

The thing that confuses me is that the inist on large runs which is fab for the bunnies but although they say they prefer 24hr access its worded as if they don't insist on it. In which case if they aren't attached a 5ft hutch would fall short of the RWA recomendation.

I'm not really sure where I stand on these sorts of things. On one hand I really admire the rescues, they really want what is best for these bunnies. But on another hand are good homes sometimes not lost?

The rescues in my area insist on attached runs. I'm renting and the layout of my garden would make this difficult because of limited patio space. Also the side gate is very low and could easily be jumped over. My runs are fox proof and secure but I just feel safer knowing they are safely in their hutches at night locked in an unused garage. I always let them out from 6 to 10, even in bad weather. I don't think I'm a bad bunny mum but sometimes I feel like its implied that I am.

They seem to keep them in concrete kennel type things, to be fair some are quite spacious, the ones at Martlesham are at least, the ones at PACT are quite narrow- probably smaller than my own kennel without the aviary.

The thing that confuses me is that the inist on large runs which is fab for the bunnies but although they say they prefer 24hr access its worded as if they don't insist on it. In which case if they aren't attached a 5ft hutch would fall short of the RWA recomendation.

I'm not really sure where I stand on these sorts of things. On one hand I really admire the rescues, they really want what is best for these bunnies. But on another hand are good homes sometimes not lost?

The rescues in my area insist on attached runs. I'm renting and the layout of my garden would make this difficult because of limited patio space. Also the side gate is very low and could easily be jumped over. My runs are fox proof and secure but I just feel safer knowing they are safely in their hutches at night locked in an unused garage. I always let them out from 6 to 10, even in bad weather. I don't think I'm a bad bunny mum but sometimes I feel like its implied that I am.

Yes same here, I don't think the set up I have is any less than generous to be honest, every time I get new buns it gets better. I'm all for that but would be nice to have some consistency between rescues. To be honest, good rescues in Norfolk are few and far between which is why we're looking further afield..

They are putting people off before they even start!!

I was thinking that! The thing is, most of these buns will have been rescued from 2/3 foot prisons - surely even the bog standard 6ft hutch + 6ftx4ft run would be better than this, and would free up the recue to take on more 2ft/3ft prisoners? Most people who rescue rabbits are informed and have conscience enough to realise rabbits are happier the more space they have, and will allow them supervised free range time or upgrade their accommodation eventually anyway?

I can't help thinking they're shooting themselves in the foot here. :?

I was thinking that! The thing is, most of these buns will have been rescued from 2/3 foot prisons - surely even the bog standard 6ft hutch + 6ftx4ft run would be better than this, and would free up the recue to take on more 2ft/3ft prisoners? Most people who rescue rabbits are informed and have conscience enough to realise rabbits are happier the more space they have, and will allow them supervised free range time or upgrade their accommodation eventually anyway?

I can't help thinking they're shooting themselves in the foot here. :?

But how can you say that this rabbit can have smaller housing than this other rabbit just because someone irresponsible kept one of them in a shoe box? Also, people will just go for the cheap option and I think it's a slippered slope for sub-standard care. If someone is not willing to spend a couple of hundred on decent accommodation then it's unlikely they will keep up with vaccinations etc.

But how can you say that this rabbit can have smaller housing than this other rabbit just because someone irresponsible kept one of them in a shoe box? Also, people will just go for the cheap option and I think it's a slippered slope for sub-standard care. If someone is not willing to spend a couple of hundred on decent accommodation then it's unlikely they will keep up with vaccinations etc.

I think thats a little unfair maybe. I don't have hundreds to spend on accomodation, but i do have the money to spend ~75/yr on vaccs (2x myxi 1x vhd) and im sure that goes the same for a lot of people?

I've thought this for a long time but not had the nereve to mention it for fear of being jumped on. I think everyone should be judged as an individual as to their suitability for adopting buns. Everyone has different types of houses and gardens. I know people with tiny gardens/yards who have very happy and loved bunnys.

Most people who rescue rabbits are informed and have conscience enough to realise rabbits are happier the more space they have, and will allow them supervised free range time or upgrade their accommodation eventually anyway?

Exactly. I'm always trying to improve my accomodation but whilst I'm renting there are restrictions on what I can do. If I buy huge sheds how am I supposed to move them everytime I move. But when I have my own place they will have the best of the best.

Since I've got rabbits I've tried to read and learn everything I can about them. I privately adopted bunnies who were aggressive overweight etc who are now the sweetest healthiest bunnies so what I'm providing clearly can't be that bad even if its not the best.

Also, people will just go for the cheap option and I think it's a slippered slope for sub-standard care.

But the recomended 6ft hutch and run isn't a cheap option, you are still looking at at least £150.

Back