• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi

Mandxx

Warren Scout
My name is Amanda and I am a new bunny owner. Would be grateful for all advice and support.

My bunny is a little girl called Peaches she is 10wks old have taken her to vet and gotten her first injection.
Would love advice on the right foods to feed her and general care:wave:

Peachesinrun.jpg

Hey Amanda :) Welcome to RU :wave:

Your bunny, Peaches, looks adorable :)

Well done for having her vaccinated!

Hope you find the infromation you need here, please do not be afraid to ask :)

Gray

Many Thanks. All my pets r vet checked and vaccinated wouldn't not get my children there vaccinations and my pets r my babies too lol.

She has to go back in 2 weeks for another injection, today ive noticing her scratching her ear a lot so think i will take her back sooner to get it checked.

Many Thanks. All my pets r vet checked and vaccinated wouldn't not get my children there vaccinations and my pets r my babies too lol.

She has to go back in 2 weeks for another injection, today ive noticing her scratching her ear a lot so think i will take her back sooner to get it checked.

Bunnies do scratch at their ears quite a lot whilst cleaning, so it may be normal, but good for you for keeping an eye on her and keeping her welfare in mind.

It's nice to see another good bunny mummy :)

Although she has only been here a week she is my baby already lol and I do adore her .
Fun part has been the reactions of my dog and cat lol, the dog adores her and tries to lick her through the wire and chases the cat away from the hutch. This is the first pic of them seeing her it did make me giggle!

00160433.jpg

Might be an idea to keep them away from her as much as possible for the first few days at least shes with you, she looks like she;s hiding at the other end of the pen from here (very small pic) so could be petrified of them and they both look like they are very much wanting to 'play' :wave:

We dnt allow them out without us and she actually does go over to the dog and sits beside him, the cat however we watch BIG time as he always has that " yummy" look!!

We dnt allow them out without us and she actually does go over to the dog and sits beside him, the cat however we watch BIG time as he always has that " yummy" look!!

:)

Bless, sounds like you have it all figured out :)

Only other thing i'd suggest, as you asked about diet, is be careful of how much grass she eats. she's very young and too much grass early on can hurt her very delicate little stomach :)

Oh eck really??!! Oh I'm worried now as she has been out most days (((runs off to put her back in hutch )))

Oh eck really??!! Oh I'm worried now as she has been out most days (((runs off to put her back in hutch )))

I didnt want to panic you, i just didnt know if you knew.

It's just something i've learnt from here :)

I don't have an outdoor bun, so i'm not so sure how much they can have/how early on, but i know it's not good to have too much too soon :)

Any experts around to offer assistance to Mandy?:wave:

Lol dnt worry like I said I'm a new bunny owner so grateful for all advice.

What are best for boredom breakers, got her a chewable tube to go in and out of , a carrot toy is there anything else that someone could recommend?

Also I dnt know wot breed she is, looking at pics online I thought maybe lop/lionhead x any ideas???

Last edited:
Lol dnt worry like I said I'm a new bunny owner so grateful for all advice.

What are best for boredom breakers, got her a chewable tube to go in and out of , a carrot toy is there anything else that someone could recommend?

Balls with bells in seem to be quite liked, although my little bun doesn't like them.

Wicker balls and things to chew always go down well :)

If you want a cheap/free toy...get a kitchen roll or toilet roll holder, put a couple of treats in the middle, and then fill the rest with hay. Keeps them going for a while :)

ETA: i can't actually see any hay, does she have any?

she is gorg:love:

she will be fine out on the grass now. As for some toys, tunnels are a fave with my lot, and jingle balls

Hiya, your bun is gorgeous!! What a little darling! :love:

Unfortunately though, her hutch and run are too small to be her permenant housing. They're fine for now, until she feels more secure, but in a couple of months it'll need upgrading. The minimum RWA standard is a 6ft hutch with a 6ft x 4ft attched run. The best possible solution though would be to move her to a shed with an attached aviary. Is that a possibility for you? You will need to keep a very close eye on her in her present run too, as buns can dig their way out of those things awefully quickly, and sadly preditors like foxes can dig their way in - her perminant run will need chicken wire buried underneath to prevent this. Has she had her injections yet? Buns need vaccinating against VHD (annually) and myxomatosis (every 6 months). Ask your vet about spaying too (this will need to be done around 6/7 months) to prevent uterine cancer and unwanted hormonal behaviour. Were you going to get her a friend? All outdoor buns need a companion of their own kind to keep them company, as being naturally social animals they can become very distressed or withdrawn if kept alone. The best solution would be to get her spayed, and wait 6 weeks for her hormones to subside, then adopt a neutered buck from a rescue centre. It's a lovely sight watching 2 loved up buns interact! :love:

Sorry if I've gone on a bit - I just wish I'd known everything when I first got my buns! Please do post more piccies when she's settled in a bit. :D

Yeah read about that and a new shed has been ordered and will hopefully be here Tues cant wait to see her in it lol. Gonna get her a friend when the shed arrives as I did think the hutch was too small for 2 buns.
She has gotten her 1st injection and goes back in 2 weeks for the 2nd, vet said about getting her spayed and will def be doing it.
Like I said to others please dnt be afraid to say things to me as im really grateful for all advice.

Re: hay: yes its in the hutch I give her hay first thing in morning and pellets in the evening, am I doing this right?

Thank you all so much for this great welcome and wonderful advice really appreciate it:love:

:wave: Welcome! I hope you find this forum helpful & its a great way to find a future bunny friend for her in the future!

Its the best feeling in the world owning a pair of rabbits! :love:

Back