• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Lonely Monty

lisabunnie

Alpha Buck
Monty and Bonnie were bonded. She was his eyes as he is blind. she groomed his poorly eyes, showed him where the food was etc they were inseperable

They lived outside in a big pen. Bonnie was PTS on monday and now Monty is understandably mourning.

he is not liking being in the pen alone. He sits hunched up with his back facing the wall at the back. he wont eat outside (he knows where his food is)

Although I have 8 bunnies all together I can't mix him with the others as they hate him. I tried several times before i finally got Bonnie.
I can't/ won't get anymore buns as i have some health issues at the moment and i find it a bit of a struggle cleaning the avaries etc.

So Monty has been out in his pen during the day and in the house with me in the eves / overnight. Its not an idea situation as i have dogs and whilst i am not particulary concerned about them all being together while i am in the room i would never trust them alone. So he goes into a dog crate at night (which i hate as i prefer my buns free range)

He has been refusing food since monday....although the fruit bowl was far too much of a temptation last night and he has eaten banana and apple.

My question really is...............

Should I rehome him as a house bunnie. He would love the attention, but as he is old and blind people might not be interested. (he came to my rescue severly neglected and was never rehomed / wanted due to age condition etc)
I would also find it very difficult as he is my favourite bun (dont tell the others!)

Or should i keep him and try and make the housing situation work

I am thinking aloud really.

I'd try and make it work. Get him a cuddly toy to snuggle up to and give him loads of attention. He's already lost his wife and rehoming him would probably upset him even more due to his lack of sight. Bless you poor little boy I hope he perks up soon.

Oh Lisabunnie what a horrible situation for poor Monty! He sounds like a special bunny.

I'm sorry, i'm a bit useless for advice.

I'd try and make it work. Get him a cuddly toy to snuggle up to and give him loads of attention. He's already lost his wife and rehoming him would probably upset him even more due to his lack of sight. Bless you poor little boy I hope he perks up soon.

I agree to a certain extent.... He loves attention and if he went to someone with no other pets it would be great.

but I'd rather keep him, i just dont like the idea of shutting him in a cage while i am not there ....I have to because of my dogs.

Back