• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poo habits!-update been to vet Vibes please.

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Sprocket and Widget don't seem to have improved much with their toileting! they pee in their litter trays thankfully (indoors and in their kennel) but they are still leaving bunny currants all over the lounge and in their kennel. I've been sweeping it out twice a day and sweeping/vaccing up the lounge but is there anything else we can try to encourage them to just use their trays?:roll:

Also, I have been seeing quite a few large dark "moist" currants (not caecos) again, from Sprocket I think plus he's been leaving a few of his caecos as well but these have generally been well-formed. Any idea what might be causing this? I have a feeling it might just be that he has a really sensitve stomach and can't handle much veg.

Instead of greens, we've been giving him and Widget a handfull of plantain and dandelions for their breakfast and he seemed to improve on this. But then I foolishly gave them half a carrot between them and two small spring green leaves yesterday mixed in with the dandelion & plantain and came back to a kennel full of these wetter currants. I also checked on them around 2pm and there were quite a few caecos uneaten on the top shelf so I cleared them out but I'm not sure whether if I hadn't removed them, he would have eaten them after I locked them up again.

They also have much greener hay now and I think that has made their poo more dark and a bit harder than when they were given the golden coloured hay- is this normal/okay?

Widget I think is doing fine.

I'm wondering whether to get him to the vet for some tests before I go away in case there is anything more sinister going on, but he seems fine in himself other than this.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm not on to give advice (I'm certainly not qualified for that) but i wanted to say best of luck and that training bunnies isnt easy! Lol!

I just picked up Luckys mess and put it in his tray. He had an area where he'd use more often so i put his tray there. I kept his food and water bowl near there too and eventually he just went in there himsef. It's lined with hay on newspapers.

I'm sure if he's fine in himself then he should be ok?

Hope all goes well xx

Thaks Grin. No carrots or greens for the next few days I think. I'll see how they go over the weekend and if no improvement then we'll take a trip to the vets next week (unless there are any worsening symptoms of course). I'm just so used to having buns with cast iron constitutions and Sprocket is always begging for food so it's dificult to resist his charms.. :roll: They are both good hay eaters which is one thing I suppose.

My two haven't improved much with their litter training either. They will poop *everywhere*. And just when I think the weeing is getting better, I'll find a puddle :( Luckily I have lamiate flooring, not carpet!

I don't think that golden hay = golden poops though, mine will barely touch the golden meadow hay they get but their poops are generally fairly golden.

Also meant to ask anyone reading if litter-training improves with age? Sergeant and Pepper are still only 5 months (or they will be on Sunday!) and I'm hoping it might get better later in their life! They are both neutered.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Carlo has never got better and apparently his foster mummie tried to get him the idea of using his tray, but he still poos everywhere :roll: thats 5 months on, he does wee in his tray though

No wories, again, Gasket andTappet were very quick to pick this up. not sure whether locking them in their hutch at night helped with this, they probably wanted to keep their living area clean.

Also a question about worming. I never wormed G & T but should I worm Sprocket and Widget? If so, what product do folks use? Just had a health care sheet from wood green and it says:

"Rabbits need regular worming and can also suffer from mites, which would need to be treated by your vet".

Thanks,

Jo

We decided to get Sprocket to the vet. He has prescribed him some antibiotics 0.7 ml of Baytril twice a day, as he has suspected enteritis. :( He is still eating well but has been told he can't have any fresh veg, just hay and pellets. He won't be happy. :( Please can I have some vibes for my poor bun?!!

We decided to get Sprocket to the vet. He has prescribed him some antibiotics 0.7 ml of Baytril twice a day, as he has suspected enteritis. :( He is still eating well but has been told he can't have any fresh veg, just hay and pellets. He won't be happy. :( Please can I have some vibes for my poor bun?!!

:?

Sounds odd to me

Sending vibes for Sprocket xx

Odd in what way?:? He's still eating like a horse thankfully, vet said his tum was a but mushy but not too bad. showed him some poos that were wetter than normal and had had a bit of watery brownish stuff covering them. :(

Odd in what way?:? He's still eating like a horse thankfully, vet said his tum was a but mushy but not too bad. showed him some poos that were wetter than normal and had had a bit of watery brownish stuff covering them. :(

I took one of mine last week (Cassie) to the vet as I noticed something similar (her poop was a tad soft and a bit of liquidy and then I heard a loud grumble from her tummy). She was checked over thoroughly (including teeth) and was asked lots of questions and told her tummy felt OK and to bring her back if things continued or got worse. We left her on hay and only a couple of pellets for a few days and she was then fine. She had been fine in herself and was eating OK.

Back