• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny just had op :( Signs of EC

ribbons

Mama Doe
Hi folks :wave:

My little bunny had an abscess in his mouth which had to be removed on Wednesday, it wasn't dental as all teeth are fine.

Anyway collected him last night from vet, got home put him in his indoor housey & immediately saw he was dragging his back legs so took him straight back to vets.

So they now think the unaesthetic has brought EC which he had last year:(

Got him home & hes on meds but legs not any better:(

Any advice much appreciated...

Vibes please:)

He is back at vets tomorrow

Last edited:
I'm sure I've seen previous posts where the stress of an op (Spay I think it was) brought on EC. Similarly tho Jane posted a few weeks back saying she'd had experience of a bun showing neutrolgoical symptoms following an adverse reaction to a GA. Hopefully she'll be along soon.

Any stress can be enough to bring on the symptoms of E.c in an affected bun- an op would certainly count as stress- there are other possible causes though.
What meds is he on?

I'm sure I've seen previous posts where the stress of an op (Spay I think it was) brought on EC. Similarly tho Jane posted a few weeks back saying she'd had experience of a bun showing neutrolgoical symptoms following an adverse reaction to a GA. Hopefully she'll be along soon.

Thanks for the info.

He had EC last year & I nursed him back to health, he was like a baby but was so brave. Gutted that after the op for abscess he is struggling again:cry:

Oh poor little bunny. Stress can bring on EC as others have said and I suppose an op does cause stress. My Basil had EC 2 months ago and although he is now ok, we are always on the watch for signs of this horrible illness. I hope the meds. will sort out your bun soon and that he is feeling better. I'm certainly no authority on this but just wondered why he hasn't been put on Panacur if its EC, I thought that was standard practice. Or maybe I'm missing something, is Lapizole an alternative to Panacur? Healing Vibes for the little darling.

Oh poor little bunny. Stress can bring on EC as others have said and I suppose an op does cause stress. My Basil had EC 2 months ago and although he is now ok, we are always on the watch for signs of this horrible illness. I hope the meds. will sort out your bun soon and that he is feeling better. I'm certainly no authority on this but just wondered why he hasn't been put on Panacur if its EC, I thought that was standard practice. Or maybe I'm missing something, is Lapizole an alternative to Panacur? Healing Vibes for the little darling.

Hiya,
Thank you for the vibes:)
He has been so brave fighting the illness once but just after the abscess op I thought that would be him okay but to see his back legs dragging breaks my heart.

He is resting alot & is eating, back at vets tomorrow.
When he first got ec he was on Lapizole

Just gave him his meds & he looked like he was using back leg slightly. Fingers crossed.

I'm having such bad few days, just hate seeing him like this ;(

The contain the same active ingredient, fenbendazole :)

Just gave him his meds & he looked like he was using back leg slightly. Fingers crossed.

I'm having such bad few days, just hate seeing him like this ;(

I hope this is the beginning of his recovery. Hang on in there, you're doing great xx

Ooh thanks lilbun :) you learn something new everyday. I didn't realise there was an alternative.

Fingers crossed ribbons that is a good sign:)

Back