• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with complaint letter about Rabbit Care.... Update!

Toadie

Alpha Buck
I am currently studying a home course on Animal Care through a well known Home Study College, and have just received my course notes on Rabbits, which has left me with a strong feeling of concern, so I am three quarters of the way composing an email to my tutor but have run out of words! :roll: Also I would like to run it passed R.U for any helpful advice :wave:

Dear Sarah
I am very much enjoying working through my course and have decided that once I complete Animal Care I shall move on and enroll in Stonebridge's course in Animal Health. The one unit I was particularly looking forward to was unit five on Rabbits, being a slave to my much spoilt house-rabbit Frodo and a member of the Rabbit Welfare Association. However after reading through Stonebridge's course notes on Rabbits, I confess to be feeling left with disappointment and concern.
My three biggest ones being - Diet, hay must make make up 90% of this, it is vital for healthy gut movement and helps to keep teeth down.
Housing, the minimum size recommended is 6ftx2ftx2ft, this is without daily access to a run, metal cages are not recommended as they are too cold in winter, neither is wire flooring, widely seen in America,it is widely used by 'breeders'.
And no where in your notes on health do you mention Viral Haemorrhage Disease or V.H.D as it is more commonly called. This is a swift killer - it can kill within a day. Rabbits must be vaccinated for this, followed by booster jabs every twelve months. They should also be vaccinated against Myximatosis, followed by twice yearly boosters.
Please accept my concerns as constructive criticisim, in no way to I wish to sound patronising

This is where I have run out of words :lol: Among these three main concerns are plenty of others including 'Adult rabbits, particularly females must be kept in isolation as they can be quarrelsome' (no where do they mention neutering :censored:) 'Rabbits are removed from their hutches hindquarters first':shock: NO mention of flystrike :? And this sentence which made me chuckle 'very seldom can they be housetrained' :lol:

Update
Got this reply yesterday, hopefully they will rewrite the whole thing! :lol:
Dear Kirsty,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We are very grateful for your feedback below – I will be forwarding this onto the course author so that it can be reviewed and updated where necessary.

In the meantime and so that you are aware, if you feel uncomfortable using the guidance provided in our materials you can use your own notes research, you will not be negatively marked for this.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
Where did they get the course notes? Sounds to me like they came from a 1980's book of 'Animals we dont know much about so we make it up'.

The lack of statements about neutering, no mention of VHD and/or neutering, and the house rabbit statement, i'm wondering where it came from!

Think Biccy might have something to say on the subject of 'very seldom being house trained'!

Could you say

Dear Sarah
I am very much enjoying working through my course and have decided that once I complete Animal Care I shall move on and enroll in Stonebridge's course in Animal Health. The one unit I was particularly looking forward to was unit five on Rabbits, being a slave to my much spoilt house-rabbit Frodo and a member of the Rabbit Welfare Association. However after reading through Stonebridge's course notes on Rabbits, I confess to be feeling left with disappointment and concern.

The information you give appears to be significanly different from the recommendations of both the Rabbit Welfare Assosiation and the RSPCA in the areas of housing, food, companionship, housetraining, and preventative medicine.

I wondered if there is a particular reason for this or if I have been send out of date course notes by mistake? It would could get back to be on this matter I would be most grateful. I have included links to the recommendations referred to above.

Many Thanks

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html#rabbitcare

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=34
Please accept my concerns as constructive criticisim

This way you are showing the information is from reputable sources and it makes it looks less personal to you. - Also you are giving them the chance to say it was a mistake and send out a new unit without loosing too much face if you see what I mean (or they may have some genuine reason they want to teach it like that, in which case I would go on to complain and also draw it to the attantion of RWA and the RSPCA, I'm sure they'll have something to say on it!)

Last edited:
Got nothing to really add but i wanted to say a thank you for taking time to do this. With any luck, they will take notice and this will vastly improve rabbits welfare. :)

Could you say

The information you give appears to be significanly different from the recommendations of both the Rabbit Welfare Assosiation and the RSPCA in the areas of housing, food, companionship, housetraining, and preventative medicine.

I wondered if there is a particular reason for this or if I have been send out of date course notes by mistake? It would could get back to be on this matter I would be most grateful. I have included links to the recommendations referred to above.

Many Thanks

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html#rabbitcare

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=34
Please accept my concerns as constructive criticisim

This way you are showing the information is from reputable sources and it makes it looks less personal to you. - Also you are giving them the chance to say it was a mistake and send out a new unit without loosing too much face if you see what I mean (or they may have some genuine reason they want to teach it like that, in which case I would go on to complain and also draw it to the attantion of RWA and the RSPCA, I'm sure they'll have something to say on it!)

PERFECT! Thank you!:wave:

Back