• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Renal failure... Anyone know anything about it?

georgie_f

Mama Doe
A work friend has two dwarf lop buns, two sisters, that have been diagnosed with renal failure. I've never had any experience of it before so I don't have a clue about it at all.

I said I'd see if I could find out anything of use for her from the good folks of Ru, as at the moment her vet feels the only option is to PTS and I've got no advice to give her myself.

Is there anything that can be done for these bunnies? I suppose it's not curable but can it be managed at all?

The vet had said that it's probably a result of severe inbreeding which really :censored: me off as they came from the very same breeder that I rescued Jovie from. :(

Chi had renal failure amongst a couple of other issues bless him, he got very frail within a short amount of time and whilst he was still eating, he was struggling to to stay upright despite being desperate to be out playing with his wifey.

He wasn't drinking 'that' much more but he was drinking more than his usual large amounts, his body just gave up on him really, with both liver and kidney failure, he got very 'dopey' looking too :cry:

He had about another week of semi quality of life with metacam, such a shame 'cos he was a real happy chap

Chi had renal failure amongst a couple of other issues bless him, he got very frail within a short amount of time and whilst he was still eating, he was struggling to to stay upright despite being desperate to be out playing with his wifey.

He wasn't drinking 'that' much more but he was drinking more than his usual large amounts, his body just gave up on him really, with both liver and kidney failure, he got very 'dopey' looking too :cry:

:(:cry: That's really sad. Sounds like Pixie and Pixel are a bit doomed. :( I feel really guilty as it was actually me that sent my friend the link to the advert for the bunnies. This was back before I realised what an utter :censored: the breeder is - I'd never of suggested getting the buns in the first place if I'd realised. I suggested to my friend that she gets copies of all the vet treatments they recieve and send the whole lot to the RSPCA as she's livid with this breeder too now. Poor buns are only about a year old.

Back