• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kidney failure -how to cope

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi all
as some of you may have already read my dear old bunny teddy has chronic kidney failure. i found out just a few days ago and it has knocked me for six. I can't bare to lose him as he is such a special bunny and i don't know how i will cope when he gets worse. At the moment he is a bit down and not eating well. I am doing my best to keep him happy but i know at some point he is going to get worse:cry:

i want to prepare myself so would really appreciate anyone sharing with me their experience...i know it is painful but it could help me and teddy cope with this better. i need to know if he will be poorly all the time or if he will have good days. I am strugglinmg with keeping his weight on too..any tips?

I nursed my bunny Joon for 6 months who had an abscess behind her eye that was incurable and it took all my courage and energy to get through it. Thankfully because of her i know i can do it again but it breaks my heart to know i can't make him better.

having just lost another bunny life just seems so unfair right now and i just need to let off some steam and i know you all understand my pain.....

hi lisa, soo sorry to hear this :cry: when mowgli had kidney failure, he had his good and bad days, he never let it get to him though, i used to get puppy training pads for him to put on the bottom of dogcrate, as he started not to use his litter tray especially when he went blind, i also checked he was clean as could be underneath daily, and if he was wet then gave him a wash and dry, to make him more comfortable, he had an extra 16months with the care i gave him

thanks Lisa..that gives me hope! I just feel so sorry for him and want to make him happier! Did Mowgli have steroid injections? this is something i am considering for when he is poorly.

not kidney but heart

take each day one at a time, dont think about the future and no matter how many times you believe they cant get anyworse they can so appreciate the up days as much as possible

i wasted valuable time worrying about Pearls time when i should of been enjoying precious moments and that is my biggest regret, worrying about the whatifs and the things to come :cry::cry:

there will be great days and there will be really bad days so enjoy the good days while you can.

i have read that kidney disease can be managed successfully for up to a year so you possibly have a long road ahead.

My vet said 6 months from first symptoms was the average heart bunnies survive and look how well Pearl did right up to the last week of her life :love::love:

loads of virtual hugs to you hun, and nose rubs to your angel :love:

thanks Lisa..that gives me hope! I just feel so sorry for him and want to make him happier! Did Mowgli have steroid injections? this is something i am considering for when he is poorly.

no mowgli didn't, but rosie did for other health reasons, but they helped rosie also to have a more comfortable life, rosie had steroids for her spine and co-ordination problems, she also had her bad and good days :wave:

thanks donnamt i know you understand and you are so right!!

Jane-he isn't on anything right now as we don't want to give him metacam. i am thinking about the steroids but don't want to do that until totally necessary. i am taking him for a vitamin inj next week to see if that helps...how often do you give those?

thanks donnamt i know you understand and you are so right!!

Jane-he isn't on anything right now as we don't want to give him metacam. i am thinking about the steroids but don't want to do that until totally necessary. i am taking him for a vitamin inj next week to see if that helps...how often do you give those?

With the steroid, its an Anabolic steroid, not a corticosteroid. In chronic renal failure muscle gets 'eaten up' and an anabolic steroid can really slow the rate at which this occurs thus Bun maintains a bit of weight.

Fortekor could be very beneficial too.

On not so good days SQ Hartmanns would be supportive.

In my experience with several Rabbits in CRF the regime of weekly anabolic steroid and multivitamin injections, daily Fortekor and SQ Hartmanns prn really helped xx

lisa im so sorry:cry:

bif went into organ shut down..liver kidneys..severe anaemia and that was a few days amd she had to be pts.

i hope you get the advice you need.

you know itll be the teddy who decides when enoughs enough.

hugs
xxx

Hi Lisa, i know we are supporting each other via pm, but i thought i would reply here too.

It is horrid knowing a much loved bunny is terminally ill. I am trying to concentrate on quality of life. The thought of losing Gracie is destroying me, especially as i have already lost my beloved Flynn earlier in the year. Flynn and Gracie are the two most special bunnies in the world to me.

I am giving Gracie anything she wants, food wise its anything she will eat. She is off SS and is now on Mr Johnsons Supreme.

Just making every moment count, and reminding her i love her to the moon and back.

Hugs to you and nose rubs to Teddy

Back