• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Neighbours moved in...have a dog..Biccy is scared. :( U/D ARGH! Here we go again!

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
New neighbours moved in over the weekend, seem very nice, very quiet.

One of them just came home early, and i heard a yapping noise. Just looked out and there's now a dog in the back garden... called out asking if it was theirs, she shouted out "yep, do you like him?" i kind of cringed and said "yes, he looks nice".

He's just had a monsterous barking session in the back garden, heard lots of banging and cage rattling downstairs...Biccy was cowering in the corner behind his hay box. His heart was RACING, like i've never felt it before.

Given him lots of strokes and nose rubs and he seems to have calmed down - he's currently now in the box nomming hay and the dog has gone quiet.

I do hope this isn't a sign of things to come... :( :roll:

Last edited:
Oh god what a nightmare, im sure biscuit will get used to the noises, can you put some music on or something to drown the sound out?
xxxxx

i've got some music on upstairs whilst im working, but there's nothing i can put music on really all day downstairs, except the tv.

Poor Biccy, he looked really scared.

ah bless, I would think he will get used to it. can you give him yummy stuff and attention when the dog starts to bark so he associates it with nice things? :love:
It worries me that my 2 have no fear of the dog over the back at all - they sit in the flower bed munching while the dog is turning itself inside out on the other side of the fence and they never flicker. :shock:

aaah bless him:(
He probably wont know what to associate the noise with either. Make sure that dog cant dig under or jump over your fence....:shock:

How annoying...dont realise how good we have it till something like this happens....Im sure the dog is lovley...just not for Biccie.
What kind of dog is it?

Perhaps some music may help.
i know mine were scared when they went outside & a plane flew over...now they are used to it & dont worry too much...
They thump & run from cats though.:(

Oh dear. Hopefully the dog will calm down once he's been there a while :( and Biccy will get used to him. My neighbour used to have dogs. They died before I got the bunnies though. They can make an awful racket. :?

WHy not record the dog barking, and play it quietly for Biscuit, and then gradually as he gets used to it play it louder. Then hopefully it won't bother him.

My buns love our dog, and don't mind his barking, but it's a whole new experience for Biscuit. x

I was pleasantly surprised that the barking of our neighbour's Jack Russel didn't bother Spenser. :? It has to be said that prior to coming here he lived in a barn on a farm that had around 5 dogs! Oddly enough, what REALLY scares him is a blackbird bursting into song. :?

Not much help, I'm afraid, but please tell Biscuit I sympathise - I'M REALLY SCARED OF DOGS!!! :wave:

he will get used to the sound of the dog next door. Pearl used to cower when she spotted Ralph at first but soon got used to him, she wasnt a fan of the barking but she didnt react badly once she was used to it :wave::wave::wave:

aaah bless him:(
He probably wont know what to associate the noise with either. Make sure that dog cant dig under or jump over your fence....:shock:

How annoying...dont realise how good we have it till something like this happens....Im sure the dog is lovley...just not for Biccie.
What kind of dog is it?

Perhaps some music may help.
i know mine were scared when they went outside & a plane flew over...now they are used to it & dont worry too much...
They thump & run from cats though.:(

It's an alsation...looks like an adult, it's pretty big. VERY loud. Made me jump!

Biccy's an indoor bunny anyway, so its not important about the digging, but i didnt think of that and it bloody well better not do!

It doesn't look very happy in the back garden...keeps digging at the fence at the back end, not my side.

i've got some music on upstairs whilst im working, but there's nothing i can put music on really all day downstairs, except the tv.

Poor Biccy, he looked really scared.

Awww bless him this is my biggest worry when someone buys the house next door :( xx

It's an alsation...looks like an adult, it's pretty big. VERY loud. Made me jump!

Biccy's an indoor bunny anyway, so its not important about the digging, but i didnt think of that and it bloody well better not do!

It doesn't look very happy in the back garden...keeps digging at the fence at the back end, not my side.

Oh god i see your point then, next door but one to me had a doberman and my daisy and truffle were terrified of it, it had such a loud gruff bark they used to run back in. xxx

I was pleasantly surprised that the barking of our neighbour's Jack Russel didn't bother Spenser. :? It has to be said that prior to coming here he lived in a barn on a farm that had around 5 dogs! Oddly enough, what REALLY scares him is a blackbird bursting into song. :?

Not much help, I'm afraid, but please tell Biscuit I sympathise - I'M REALLY SCARED OF DOGS!!! :wave:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

WHy not record the dog barking, and play it quietly for Biscuit, and then gradually as he gets used to it play it louder. Then hopefully it won't bother him.

My buns love our dog, and don't mind his barking, but it's a whole new experience for Biscuit. x

This is a good idea, Pixie was like frozen in terror when my dog walked past her pen the first time, even though the dog isn't the slightest bit interested in her :roll: I talked to Pixie in quite an upbeat tone when Lil walked past for a few days and noticed she was watching Gizmo to see what he was doing, he was like flopped not bothered in the slightest so she has completely chilled out now, she couldn't care less when the dog walks by, they all look when the dog barks because it's very rare she does but, they are soon back to normal when she stops - actually my dog barks sometimes in a protective way at the dog next door (when he barks) he soon shuts up when she does aswell :lol: Play it down is my advice - when the dog starts barking start whistling or singing and just pat Biscuit reassuringly, if you make a thing of it he will think it's something he should worry about, obviously make everywhere secure as you would for a fox if there is a dog next door though, hopefully he will get used to it:wave:

Weirdly Bobby binkies when she hears next doors dog, but on the other hand Carlo is scared of the toilet flushing:lol: Hopefully he will just get used to it xx

Thats not good :( Understand where you are coming from. Mine are outside bunnies and both sides of me have got dogs - rotweiller one side and a terrior type thing the other... they bark all the time and pace the fences... scares me half to death so wonder what it does to the poor bunnies :(:(:(

Weirdly Bobby binkies when she hears next doors dog, but on the other hand Carlo is scared of the toilet flushing:lol: Hopefully he will just get used to it xx

Thats what grace does near the cat :lol:
on the otherhand charlie runs off :? xx

we also have a little dog livin next door too, its only bothered mylo when he has been in his run outside as it doesnt seem a noisy dog. It doesnt bark much.

Thats a good idea of havin a tape of barkin so he can slowly get used to it.

He should get used to it over time :) My bunnies came from a rescue centre where their pen was opposite the dog pens - they don't really react to dogs barking as a result (but show them a cat chilling minding its own business, and they run for their lives :roll:)

Aww no, hopefully he'll get used to it soon enough. Harvey used to be terrified of the sound of cars pulling up near the house but it doesn't seem to bother him as much now.

Back