• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have a neutered boy with an unneutered girl?

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
Reason I ask is someone has enquired about adopting George but their female isn't spayed. She recently lost her partner and is lonely.

They seem reluctant to get her done, I will speak to them when I go round to try and convince them to get her spayed, but if they don't want to or can't do you think the bond could still work?

I have or have had a couple of unneutered females in with males ( neutered) with no problems, but I am sure it depends on the personality of the bunny.

If the female is still young and healthy it seems a shame not to get her done. Just tell them how many I have had here this year with uterine cancer that might change their mind :?

Muppet and Sooty are a neutered male/unneutered female pair - or they were til the end of July as Sooty has now been neutered too. They were fine when she wasnt neutered, they're still fine now :D

But do you want someone to adopt George when they arent willing to have the female spayed? It doesnt seem like they have her health in their interests :? (Unless of course there's a good reason she cant be spayed.)

But do you want someone to adopt George when they arent willing to have the female spayed? It doesnt seem like they have her health in their interests :? (Unless of course there's a good reason she cant be spayed.)

That's why I am going to go and meet them, to see what they are like :)

Would she keep tormenting him,if and when she was hormonal? I dont know Lou how unspayed females act.

Up until a few years ago non of my females were neutered and they always got on fine with the males. I had one pair that wouldn't bond but the female kept nest building and having phantom pregnancies ( foster bun) but she was happily bonded with another neutered male when she was rehomed.

my first rabbits mitzi and thumper i had the male neutered and the female uneutered, as she was elderly when we got her, we never had any problems, but i think it depends on the rabbits character

if there rabbit is young and healthy i would try and encourage them on the advantages on getting her done

They might just be worried about their female having an operation, so maybe they are good rabbit owners, just a bit worried. :) I think it's a good idea to speak to them and tell them all the benefits of spaying, and how it is a common operation and everything.

Pepper isn't spayed but Buddy is neutered. I got them from Kirkby 2 months ago. I will get Pep spayed at some point in the near future, but this will only be for health reasons as her behaviour is absolutely lovely.

I think it depends on the individual rabbits.

I have an un-neutered female with a neutered male, they get on great...but she will be done if she ever gets any bigger :roll:

My resident bunnies are Rolo, neutured 4 year old and unspayed Noco who is about 6 years old. They are the most inlove pair of bunnies, they do everything together, no fighting, no phantom pregnancy.

My reason for not spaying when I got her, she was a free add bunny was purely for the neglect she had endured before I got her, she would be able to live out the rest of her natural life without putting her through an op, my decision and I take full responsibility if she does end up dying younger but it was my decision based on her past life (if you could call it a life) I am surprised she is alive!!

Any bunnies coming through the rescue will be spayed or neutured.

Hi

Reason I ask is someone has enquired about adopting George but their female isn't spayed. She recently lost her partner and is lonely.

They seem reluctant to get her done, I will speak to them when I go round to try and convince them to get her spayed, but if they don't want to or can't do you think the bond could still work?

I have a neuterd boy with an entire female and it works a treat! At first my boy did mount but not for long.. they are one of the most loved up pairs I have ever had so dont be put off.. good luck

Jasmine was un neutered and lived with Diesel very happily however after she had to be pts Tallulah was bonded with him (also unneutered) and after a couple of weeks they started fighting and were seperated.....Tallulah is still a bit young for my vet to spay .

I used to have a pair like that (now both at the Bridge). Benji was neutered, but Pippa wasn't. They lived together for 8 years (until Pippa died) without the slightest problem. Pippa was a very laid back female though and showed absolutely no hormonal behaviour.

Vera

I didn't get Kendra done until she was 18 months, cos she's tiny. She lived in the group (13 buns at one point) from about 5months up, with no probs. Kenny never seemed to have hormonal issues:D

I also have Bella now - wildie cross, who went to be spayed, but didn't have the appropriate equipment:roll: She will shortly be bonded into the group too. Possibly. Probably. I will get back to you:lol:

All my neutered males we bonded with unspayed females at some point in the run up to getting old enough to be spayed and they all got hormonal and started harrassing the male round in the run up to the op. The males weren't really bothered by it because it was such a short length of time but if my girls hadn't had the op I think the boys would of soon got fed up of their attention. I guess if you had an older girly though who'd already hit her hormonal stage and was still pretty laid back it could work. Obviously in an ideal world she'd be spayed as well.

It should be fine, all the females are unspayed at Kirkby and they've never had a problem with bonding.

Back