• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Upset stomach

flicketyflick

Young Bun
Flump has had this over 6months now and still going runny poo's. :?
She has a mixture of solid and around 1/2 runny a day and never in her litter tray:cry:. I havent fed her greens for a while( even though she loves them) it makes her worse.

I feed her on excel and have done ever since i had her. I tryed different food but she still gets it :(.

She's quite a active bunny, goes crazy when she hears the food bag, running around her whole pen and around her two friends. Then she's eating as fast as she can then running around again. I just assumed thats the reason for her problem.

Anyone else's bunny like this?? reckon i should take her to the vets?

She had a awful eye when we first got her, She was in alot of pain.so we took her for the op of flushing away her tear duct etc and ever since then she's been really lively but have had this problem ever since.
I try to clean up as much as a can after her, but i feel so sorry for the others when they put there feet in it.

Have her teeth and teeth roots been checked? If they have teeth problems they can struggle to reach their cecals. It can also cause runny eyes.

Hiya, welcome to RU! :wave:

I agree with Schuette it could be her teeth. Does she sit hunched up and grind her teeth at all? has she lost weight? If you do take her to be checked over make sure they look at her teeth with an otoscope.

I'd recommend taking a stool sample to the vets for analasis anyway. She may have worms. It's a good idea to worm her anyway as a preventative.

Otherwise, it could be her food. How much hay does she eat? Hay should make up 80% of her diet. It's possible she's intolerant to pellets, as my 2 are, but that would be less likely if it's only a recent thing. If the stool sample comes back clear I would suggest you gradually wean her off the pellets onto a hay, grass and veg only diet.

I agree with the advice given so far as well. Hay should form the main part of bunny's diet and also a selection of fresh herbs/veggies. In my opinion the pellets should form only the smallest part. Basil's tummy is normally ok but if looks even slightly dodgy, I feed loads of extra hay. He likes different varieties, so I can get him to eat more by just varying which one I feed. Hope Flump is feeling better soon but if the problem doesn't improve or worstens I personally, would take her to the vet.

It does sound like dental problems however ive had bad experience with excel. Id recommend changing her pellet food if you can. I changed to science selective, its great and the pellets are bigger so better for teeth :wave: :)

Thanks for all your fast responses.Yehh I always make sure that they have plenty of hay. I just hope shes been eating it. Maybe i will try that science seletive and if the same i will try her on a hay and veg diet and keep a very good eye on her.

I will get her wormed too and if nothing from all that, i will visit the vet.

When we first got her she used to grind her teeth alot and have a runny eye, but that operation cured all of it.
She has lost weight over the last 6months, but she was overweight again when we first got her:(, so we had to cut her diet down.

i defo try switching her over to another feed like science selective, as excell is known to cause tummy problems, ie runny poo's in a number of rabbits, and people who have switched have found this helped, either SS or wagg optimum

if her teeth are causing any problems this can cause eye discharge, wetness under their chin from drooling saliva, weight loss, its worth getting a check up, to double check her teeth and look for any molar spurs

Back