• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore hocks adivce please

:wave: vet first for pain relief and dressing etc.
Do you have an indoor or outdoor bun?
Either way, you will need to look at changing bedding to something non abrasive and have thick layers for support, make sure bun isn't overweight and nails are kept short.
I have 2 outdoor rexes - we are on megazorb with a thick layer of soft hay on top.
indoor buns might have fleecy blankets/towels etc - and make sure its not carpet burns if you have carpet.
hope this helps, loads of other more experienced peeps here :D

:wave: vet first for pain relief and dressing etc.
Do you have an indoor or outdoor bun?
Either way, you will need to look at changing bedding to something non abrasive and have thick layers for support, make sure bun isn't overweight and nails are kept short.
I have 2 outdoor rexes - we are on megazorb with a thick layer of soft hay on top.
indoor buns might have fleecy blankets/towels etc - and make sure its not carpet burns if you have carpet.
hope this helps, loads of other more experienced peeps here :D

Yes he is a mini rex indoor bun,and was wondering if maybe it was the carpet,as he does like to tear around at times! thanks for advice

Carpet gave mine sore hocks and mine aren't rexes with the fine fur on their hocks. We put lino down and they've improved greatly. My Mini still have one sore hock due to a slight deformation in that leg from an accident two or three years ago. The absolute best thing is a deep layer of hay. Remember to kjeep their nails short too, that helps.

Carpet gave mine sore hocks and mine aren't rexes with the fine fur on their hocks. We put lino down and they've improved greatly. My Mini still have one sore hock due to a slight deformation in that leg from an accident two or three years ago. The absolute best thing is a deep layer of hay. Remember to kjeep their nails short too, that helps.

Thanks :) cant really put lino down as im in a rented house,but will make sure his area is improved by fleeces /blankets etc.
I want him to free range when im home but its all carpet:?:?:?

Thanks :) cant really put lino down as im in a rented house,but will make sure his area is improved by fleeces /blankets etc.
I want him to free range when im home but its all carpet:?:?:?

You want something his nails will sink into so maybe fleeces with towels under to make it springy. I know some people use foam but there is the risk of eating it and ingesting it so I didn't go down that route.

Before I got lino I did a plastic sheeting/towel/vetbed/sheet combo. Vetbed on it's own doesn't always help cos it can wear away the soft fur. You need something soft and gentle on top and something springy underneath. I found mine always weed on it though. Mine tend to wee on soft things, hence the towels and sheeting underneath.

Back