• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone help at Kirkby Rescue, Notts?

The situation on the unwanted bunny front is just dire at the moment. We are getting calls every day from people wanting to give up bunnies that we simply haven't got room for. It doesn't help that we now also have 16 resident bunnies that need special care who are never going to be rehomed.:cry:

What is more upsetting is that the people wanting to give up their buns are rude and get angry. I tire of peoples excuses and how they are only too eager to offload the problem onto others.

As well as running our own rescue I am trying to help out on the bunny front at Kirkby. Celia rang to say that some ******* breeder was finally clearing out. However that has left 10 bunnies dumped on Celia with the does likely to be pregnant and of course all the bucks need castrations too (as well as other bucks already in the queue).

Can anyone help with:
Vet runs?
Photos of bunnies for Rabbit Rehome (not latest buns but buns that are ready for new homes that are still awaiting photos)?
Help with feeding, cleaning out?
I did also broach the subject of foster carers with Celia and I am not sure how she feels about this.

:cry::cry:

Sorry I can't be of much help due to my distance but wanted to post to show a bit of support for you guys down there. If me and the OH ever manage to make to Orston (our dream place to live) I will deffinately come and help you guys out in future. You will have to eject me most likely at the end of the day :oops:

Chin up and I think I speak for most people when I say the work you do is much appreciated :wave:

If there is no one on RU, who could take photographs, what about trying to find a photographer in Nottingham who would donate some free time for this.

We are currently planning a day at Windwhistle to try and offer Alice some help before the winter.

I know Celia has had some great help from members of the forum, with repairing hutches etc. But it would be great if we could have have "donate a day to a rescue" thread where, perhaps busy members, could put aside one day and help out. Regular help would be even better, but perhaps a full day would be better than nothing.

As ever, I can sometimes help out with any sick rabbits if needed, but I don't really have time to go up there regularly...sorry :(

Wrong end of the country for me i'm afraid :(

Sorry, i know thats not exactly helpful, just didnt want to read and run:roll:

Rob and I may be available to help with cleaning/ repairs the weekend of 18th-19th Sep.

Bless you Beth for helping Celia in addition to having a job and running your own rescue! :D

Ive sent you a message.

Celia is wonderful. I wish I could go and help. I live too far away and wouldnt get much done - wouldn't be able to see from all my tears. :cry::cry::cry:

I hate how people keep dumping rabbits on Celia. She is doing her best.

I would thoroughly recommend adopting from Kirkby.
It is not luxurious or a lovely fancy building. In fact it is a shock when you get there. BUT the rabbits are fantastic. They are in EXCELLENT condition and are well cared for. My two new additons are from there and they are a credit to Celia and her standard of care that she give to the bunnies. I would not hesitate from adopting from there in the future.

Please consider this rescue.

Last edited:
Oh no :( Doesn't sound good.
I am back in Nottingham in a couple of weeks and will be going to help out with feeding/cleaning on Saturdays again. Might be able to do a few extra days in the week this term too.

I'd taken photos of all the buns, however, when my laptop crashed I lost a lot of info, Adam has retrieved most of it and I'm now trying to marry the bunnies to the information Celia gave me on them, some of them will be out of date though.

It's been a year since I put this thread on http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=195413 and although things did improve briefly, the rehoming situation has slowed down again.

I know Celia has a lot of bucks that need to be taken for neuters, but most of us work during the week and find it difficult to do the vet runs, if anyone could volunteer to do this it would be a great help.

Kirkbys situation is not unique as I know most of the rescues are full to capacity and have waiting lists, but this is the first time I've ever known Celia to refuse to take any more buns in:cry:

So please if you can offer a bun or 2 a home please give Celila a call on 01623 753883

Rob and I may be available to help with cleaning/ repairs the weekend of 18th-19th Sep.

Bless you Beth for helping Celia in addition to having a job and running your own rescue! :D

Bless you. That would really help. I can just feel winter approaching now and things get 100 times more difficult in winter for rescues as the days gets shorter and everything is so cold. From our own experience winter is when we need volunteers the most but they all seem to disappear when the old kicks in.

When I went over to Celias yesterday she had in 135 bunnies. cleaning those out in the feezing cold is going to be no fun at all not to mention defrosting water bottles.:(

I am about an hour away and volunteer at a guinea pig sanctuary. I will be turning 15 on Saturday and may be able to pull together two more people to possibly come and help during the school holidays? Would need to speak to my mum but would this be of any help?
Sophie
X

I know places like the free ads are full of unwanted bunnies and neglect but would perhaps an ad asking for volunteers help or be of use?

Maybe you would get one or two genuine people able to donate their time to help out.

What about flyers in vets and any shops with notice boards?

It's a shame I'm at the bottom of the country with no way of getting up to help :(

I go every Friday and have done for almost a year now. :wave:

I'm taking buns to my own vets for neutering as Celia's vet is struggling to cope with the backlog - two are booked in for neutering at my vets for next Friday. I can only do vets trips on Friday as I'm at work the other days.

I'm already fostering 4 orphaned babies for Celia, which Celia and I have agreed that I'll try and rehome without them having to go back to Kirkby. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get these little ones on RU once I have approval from Tree.

ETA - I've also been taking poorly buns when necessary to nurse them at home.

Last edited:
Well done to those, who are already helping.

We should be able to find a volunteer driver, who is an animal lover, in the whole of Nottingham. I think we perhaps should not focus on finding someone off this forum for that and brainstorm other options.

Ive emailed an Animal liberation site in Nottingham (not fanatics just awareness) to see if they can advise how we might find one.

Has anyone from Nottingham heard of this organisation, who do have volunteer drivers

http://www.animalaccident.org.uk/?page_id=15

Im wondering if it would be worth contacting them to see if one of their volunteer drivers could help. I know Suzanne has offered to pay for one trip with a commercial company, but it looks expensive. It would be cheaper to pay 40p a mile expenses to a volunteer driver. We would have to ensure that we are not responsible for insurance etc with a disclaimer, but could seek advice on that if we manage to find a volunteer.

Ideas please.

Back