• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chesney is getting neutered - aftercare?

KB26

Young Bun
Hi everyone :wave:

I need to get Chesney neutered soon - his wee balls have dropped, bless him, and he's taken to lots of foot circling / honking / headbutting - although not spraying or humping just yet!

I just wanted to find out how much aftercare he will require? I can't take time off work at the moment so am I best to try and get him done on a Friday afternoon so I can keep an eye on him over the weekend?

When we got my dog neutered he had to wear a collar to stop him picking out the stitches - might be a silly Q but do bunnies need this too?! I really hope not!!!

Thanks all :D

PS will the honking stop once he's been fixed? I'll miss it - it's very cute :love:

I need to get Chesney neutered soon - his wee balls have dropped, bless him, and he's taken to lots of foot circling / honking / headbutting - although not spraying or humping just yet!

I just wanted to find out how much aftercare he will require? I can't take time off work at the moment so am I best to try and get him done on a Friday afternoon so I can keep an eye on him over the weekend?

When we got my dog neutered he had to wear a collar to stop him picking out the stitches - might be a silly Q but do bunnies need this too?! I really hope not!!!

PS will the honking stop once he's been fixed? I'll miss it - it's very cute :love:

Keep him inside and warm, dont let him lie on hay (i used puppy pads for my two) make sure he is eating and drinking if not get him back to the vets pronto. xxxxx

this is a good idea you should spend the first 24 horus monitoring them including overnight to make sure they are warm enough and that they are eating drinking and pooping make sure he has pain relief, also be aware that many bunnies will prefer a bowl of water while they are recovering in stead of a bottle, you will need to keep him off hay and on newspaper or soft towels indoors as bunnys cannot regulate there temperature themselves after anestetic, also they wil lusually take around 10 days to recover though after the first 48 you will find they are much bouncier, keep an eye on wound for any pulled stitches or infection and usually the vet wil ldo a 3 day and 10 day check up free, also have lots of nice smelling foods to re tempt bunny as during ga's the buns gut can shut down and needs to re start to prevent stasis,
no question is silly but no bunnys shouldnt unless as a last resort be made to wear a collar this stops them eating and drinking and especially eating caeceotrophs (sp?) they usually will not pull or bite at stitches unless in pain so adequet pain relief is a must

often this does stop as its part of the hormones though some bunnys behaviour changes very little, coco still sprays if another boy rabbit is around and he still grunts at me for his breakfast though no longer humps my leg...he is 8yrs old!!!!

regarding any additional after care dont ever split a bunny from its partner unless the partner is unneutered bucks take less time to recover than does and neither bunny type should be allowed to jump during their recovery i think its around day 6 they can return to hay bedding but should be kept in for 6-10 days and not runnign around though some movement in a small penned area is allowed.

Hi

If its any consolation, when my boy was neutered he came home eagerly looking for food and had no problems whatsoever!
Usually bunnies are not stitched and a collar is not necessary.. mine have never bothered "licking their wounds"
The mounting usually lasts for a while but eventually stops!
Hope hes ok!

Thanks so much all :) Sorry for delay in response not been online in a few days. Will let you know how wee Ches gets on. :D xxx

Back