• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you tell if a rabbit is at a healthy weight?

melodyeye

New Kit
Hi friends,
When I say that I don't mean by weighing them or by knowing how much to feed, because it's different from rabbit to rabbit, lifestyle to lifestyle. Should you be able to palpate the ribs? Should there be rolls in certain areas? Things like that! I'm talking about through visual assessment.

I don't know 'offically' but my feeling is that when I stroke a rabbit I should just about be able to feel the bumps of the spine and the hip bones sticking out a bit.

Theres a pic at my vets...an overview of a bunnys body.About 5 rabbits in a line and you get to see a thin rabbit to an obese one.
Good body condition....
I took some advice a while ago.I got told an egg cup of pellets and ended up with an underweight rabbit.
Perhaps its right for some bunnies, but not for mine.
She was thin,I could feel bones and she was cold.

There's a good article in a Rabbiting On magazine I've seen. I think it said that the ribs should feel like a packet of pens.

As far as rabbits concern they are naturally a little bit chubby, but that’s healthy. My rabbit's vet said my bunny was a perfect weight, 3.5 pounds but she’s a small breed. So when you hold it you should be able to feel ribs, but no ribs poking out or anything and you shouldn't be able to see the ribs, just feel them. There can be a few rolls near its neck, lower back or sides, just a little bit. The best way to tell is at a vet though. Hope it will help you for sure.

So when you hold it you should be able to feel ribs, but no ribs poking out or anything and you shouldn't be able to see the ribs, just feel them.
I agree, you should feel them, but with a little bit and carefull 'pressure' (i'm not sure that's the word I really mean). If you feel the ribs very clear, your bun is a bit thin. If you have to search for the ribs, your bun is a bit to heavy.

Back