• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Training my rabbit

vaida

New Kit
Hi. I just wanted to ask for advise on how to train my baby rabbit how to be people friendly. My boyfriend and I had a mini lop rabbit a week ago which is 8 weeks old. He doesnt seem to like being held or stroked. I understand it takes time but I thought maybe I need to start bonding with him while he is young. Everytime I try to stroke him he runs off and the times I manage to catch him, he looks very scared. Please could somebody give me some advise?:(
Many thanks

Start off by using a relatively small area with no where for him to hide so he has to be around you. sit on the floor and just let him do his own thing eventually curiosity will get the better of him and he will come over, make sure that you have plenty of healthy treats at hand and put one on your hand for him to take from you over time start to move your hand up onto your legs so he has to climb up onto you, then gradually start stroking him gently at the head and slowy downwards. also when you are giving him his pellets feed as many of them by hand as you can this will also help.
over time he should come to learn that you mean good things happen :D

A week is no time at all. You really have to be prepared to be quite patient, sorry!

Rabbits dont like being caught or held as a general, so dont do that unless you have to. (Obviously youll have to pick him up occasionally, just keep those times to a minimum.)

As TasherR says, it's better if you get on the floor with him and let him come to you. Food bribes are always welcomed ;) I used to cut carrot slices into quarters when I first had Muppet and give him a quarter at a time. I think it took about a fortnight to get him properly relaxed and comfortable.

Strangely it took him much longer to really LIKE being stroked. He didnt dislike it, he just didnt seem to see the point :lol: Now he loves being stroked - but he still hates being picked up and wont even sit next to me. He insists his paws must remain on the floor for strokings :D

Back