• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice please... really worried

littleboots

Mama Doe
I would like any advice please on my 4yr old male lop bunny
He had eaten well last night but I noticed this afternoon he was a little wobbly!
Its almost as though he is "dizzy".. I have put him on panacur and have given him some metacam and critical care and will syringe water every hour... Im really worried !! Any ideas PLEASE... needless to say I will be at the vets first thing if hes no better.

Your poor bunny. I think he probably needs to go and see a vet tonight... they have emergency out of hours services. And if you can't afford the charge for the service, you can usually pay in installments.

Can he stand up properly? What is he doing now?

I'd get him to the vets tonight too. Whilst panacur will hopefully help if its e.c. Related he may need to have antiinflammatories too. It could be a simple ear infection but its best to get it checked as soon as possible. They can go downhill so fast. Is he drinking anything on his own? It could be dehydration, is his bottle working ok, one of our girls had a strange episode where she shook her head and fell over, it turned out she was slightly dehydrated. we were on the last day of three weeks group bonding at the time and she must have decided she was so fedup with being in the bathroom she didn't want to drink. There was no hostility or stress as the bond went fine and she was eating and having her veg as usual. She had a multivit, and steroid jab and was fine then drinking wen we got her home. Hope its nothing and he's back to normal soon :)

Last edited:
'Wobbling' in animals can also be a sign of dehydration. Have you pinched your buns skin to see if it retracts quickly? If it retracts slowly then it suggests that the bun is dehydrated. I looked after a relatives bun a couple of years ago and after 2 days I worried because I had not had to top up the water bottle (a brand new one that they bought in with the bunny). When I fiddled around with it I found out that it didn't actually work. The bunny was really dehydrated and was so thirsty. It was so lucky that I realised when I did.

how is he now ?
has he deteriorated.
I have a bunny who had been going limp and floppy. he has been good for two weeks now.
have you changed his food or anything lately ?

re advice please really worried

Thanks for all your comments
He does seem dehydrated (although his bottle is working perfectly well and he also has access to a bowl..) so will continue rehydrating.

He is sitting up ok . ie not falling over but just seems quite weak.

Certainly not fly strike.

You could add a drop of boiling water to his bowl to make it tepid (mine love it like this and tend to drink more).

Your bunny sounds like he really needs to see a vet asap as they can go downhill very quickly.

no worse this morning

No worse this morning but off to vets shortly.
Gave him plenty of water overnight until he got sick of us bless him!
The strange thing is his partner was in the vets the day before for a dental spur and I just hope she didnt bring a virus or something back with her.. I know its probably unlikely but you think all sorts when they suddenly become poorly!
Not quite got the hang of replying on the forum yet as new to me.. so please bear with me.. will keep you posted

No worse this morning but off to vets shortly.
Gave him plenty of water overnight until he got sick of us bless him!
The strange thing is his partner was in the vets the day before for a dental spur and I just hope she didnt bring a virus or something back with her.. I know its probably unlikely but you think all sorts when they suddenly become poorly!
Not quite got the hang of replying on the forum yet as new to me.. so please bear with me.. will keep you posted

Sending him lots of Vibes and let us know how he went on at the vet's.

not right but better

Your poor bunny. I think he probably needs to go and see a vet tonight... they have emergency out of hours services. And if you can't afford the charge for the service, you can usually pay in installments.

Can he stand up properly? What is he doing now?

"Sammy" been to the vets had 2 x injections, bloods and now on medications.. Thought Id done the wrong thing by taking him at first as he was really "flat" with the stress when I got home.. However he is still not right but sitting upright and more respsonsive now... so fingers crossed! I was up all night with him last night.. but hes worth it. Will be up tonight too!

Thanks

Sending lots of vibes to Sammy for a full recovery.

Thanks very much.. Sammy and I appreciate it!

Im new to the forum.. but heres a bit about myself... Ive had rescue bunnies since 1997 usually from Bunny Burrows. At the moment I have Rosie a netherland dwarf (aka little boots!!..as she has four little black boots!!) she was taken to bunny burrows in a shopping basket!!!! She lives with Treacle.. a black lion head boy who came from the most horrendous home in a "hutch" about 18inch deep in pooh!!!
Sammy.. my poorly bun came from the same awful home as Treacle.. in a hutch knee deep in pooh! And Sadie a golden lop girl who lives with him !

Once again thank you for your concern and vibes!

Thanks very much.. Sammy and I appreciate it!

Im new to the forum.. but heres a bit about myself... Ive had rescue bunnies since 1997 usually from Bunny Burrows. At the moment I have Rosie a netherland dwarf (aka little boots!!..as she has four little black boots!!) she was taken to bunny burrows in a shopping basket!!!! She lives with Treacle.. a black lion head boy who came from the most horrendous home in a "hutch" about 18inch deep in pooh!!!
Sammy.. my poorly bun came from the same awful home as Treacle.. in a hutch knee deep in pooh! And Sadie a golden lop girl who lives with him !

Once again thank you for your concern and vibes!

Hi June :D

hope Sammy is much improved, I know what a worry it is when they are ill.

Oh and Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Hi,

Hi June :D

hope Sammy is much improved, I know what a worry it is when they are ill.

Oh and Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Pleased to say Sammy is much better.. Eating and drinking again.. Im sure hes thinking... "Im NOT having that syringe again"!!
His balance is better too.. EvenTrying to escape from his pen while I clean him out!!
A close eye will be kept on him though.. Maybe I will get some sleep tonight!

Thanks for caring

Pleased to say Sammy is much better.. Eating and drinking again.. Im sure hes thinking... "Im NOT having that syringe again"!!
His balance is better too.. EvenTrying to escape from his pen while I clean him out!!
A close eye will be kept on him though.. Maybe I will get some sleep tonight!

Thanks for caring

Oh I'm so glad it's better news :D

Back