• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering Advice

Hello everyone :wave:,

My male Bun is going into the vets to be neutered on Friday. We know the vet already and she is very experienced with rabbits.

Anyway, I was just posting to ask if anyone has any advice on pre-op preparation and post-op care. I have already been told by the vet to feed him as normal in the morning and bring in some foods that he loves (in Ben's case Basil).

But I just thought it would be a good idea to get some tips from some experienced Bun people, re the whole neutering after care.

They shouldn't let him home until he is eating and pooping, and he should definitely have had a painkiller, and some to bring home. Ideally he'd have a gut stimulant as well.
When he gets home he'll be a bit groggy, so he needs to be kept warm and on bedding that's not going to irritate his little bottom! So vet bed, towel or something like that. Probably best to confine the area he's allowed in as well.
Hope he's ok.

If he is an outdoor bun he needs to be inside with you at night and kept warm, offer him plenty of foods that he likes to keep his tummy moving, i used puppy pads for mine to lay on for a week so they could toilet without climbing into trays etc.

Just keep a close eye on him no exertions, no laying on hay, if he isnt eating take him straight back to the vets. xxx

Back