• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flystrike

tilly2484

Warren Scout
Being a rabbit owner for many years one of my biggest fears has happened tonight. When checking my gorgeous Poppy she had fly strike. Don't know how long it's been like that but it must have been max a day. I'm beside myself. We rushed her to the vet as an emergency and she's there now. They said they will call later to give us the update. I'm beside myself. I can't bare it that she has maggots on her and Muffin (my other rabbit) is missing her already. I'm dreading the worst. I feel such a horrible person. If I had checked her this morning instead or even a few hours before. I so hope she is ok. Has anyone had rabbits recover from flystrike?

I don't know how poor Muffin would cope without her.

Im so sorry - sending vibes & a quick recovery....

Im sure buns have survived flystrike if caught early enough...dont blame yourself...its very hard to see the eggs before they hatch...:cry:

Keep us updated...

lotsa vibes for both buns...
Hugs!xxxx

I've heard of rabbits recovering from flystrike. Your bunny is lucky you did check her, and you've got her veterinary attention quickly. Don't feel horrible and don't blame yourself. You've done right by getting her to the vets :D

My first bunny patch got flystrike and survived you have got her to the vets straight away so i'm sure she will be fine

Oh no, I am sorry! As you found it quickly don't despair just yet. Was she rearguarded?

At least she is in the best place she can be at the moment.
Don;t beat yourself up too much...these things can happen frighteningly quickly.
A friend of mine little mini lop got caught a few months back. They managed to get him through it and he is back to his old self....well, except a bald little bum. She'd litterally checked him a couple of hours before hand as well.
Really hope she can pull through.

Sending vibes for your little one x

Don't be hard on yourself, these things can happen to anybun and all owners need to be on guard for it, and you've got her to the vet quickly :)

I have known buns to survive flystrike, I believe the chances of recovery are surprisingly good as long as they're not too far gone :wave:

I hope your bunny can recover from this. Flystrike can happen so quickly- especially if the bunny is elderly or unwell in some way. Was your bunny in good health otherwise? xx

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that! I'm sending loads of quick recovery vibes your way :wave:Xx

She's years old and in good health. She had her last vet check up 2 weeks ago. She sometimes gets a dicky tum but she is now restricted to hay and science selective pellets as anything else gives her the runs.

Don't blame yourself, sometimes these things happen no matter how hard you try to prevent them :(

I hope she'll be ok, it sounds like you got it in time and rabbits usually recover brilliantly when it's caught early.

She is in the best place at the moment. It can happen in a matter of a couple of hours so please don't beat yourself up - you have got her to the vet asap.

I had a bunny (who was very ill) who got flystrike and she recovered from the flystrike (there was no broken skin) but unfortunately we lost her later that week from her illness.

Sending her lots of vibes for a full recovery.

Sending vibes for your bunny. My sister had a bunny who survived flystrike. Hope Poppy's home real soon.

My bunny Floppy had fly strike about 4yrs ago and made a full recovery. You have done good to get her to the vets straight away as they can give her injections to kill any maggots on her.
sending lots of good vibes for a full recovery.

Back