• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Help?

PixieRabbit

Mama Doe
Hey, We have 11 bunnies and we're really wanting 9 of those in one large group. Trouble is there is two males aswell. In the group we're going to have Benji with Flopsi and Storm who both have two daughters due to him :roll: and Spencer and his daughter (he was from a breeder who had to move down south) Flopsi is also Spencers daughter, so Spencer is related in as well :? So it's like an extended family if that makes sense.
Anyway I want them all bonded, I know I'll have them in two groups no bother, Lilly is pretty much bonded with Flopsi and her daughters, Benjis just needs all his swimmers to die. And Spencer will bond with Storm no bother as they spend all day kissing through bars.
It's just putting them all together that worries me, where should I do it how small should the space be etc.?
The largest group I've attempted has been six.

:wave: Crikey ambitious but, logically can work and the same principles apply, in fact I would feel more confident about bonding a group of say 6+ than a trio for example having observed a trio bonding - I don't have experience of it so this is just what I would do - I would go for a neutral room or a shed/stable that is at least 8x4' or 8x6' and cover it in hay, sprinkle lots of treats in the hay and food lots of water bowls and bottles and pray:lol:

for my group of six I used a large puppy pen stood in the middle of it with a brush and prayed ...then moved the puppy pen inside for 2 weeks they all still live together apart from one who passed away ..To tell the truth I found it my easys bonding

I find bonding really easy, 99% of every bond I've tried worked, it's just occasionally the bunnies would end up disagreeing and fighting :(
I haven't bonded bunnies since back in Feb-April. I did try Lilly with her big sister, and they got on great so long as territory was neutral, so I'm sure once spayed and in new house they'll be good together. I know in the long run I'll have: Benji, Flopsi, Lilly, Betty & Shadow bonded 100% and Spencer, Storm, Bumble Bee & Midge 100% and I'll be trying them like that first. Then trying all nine together. They have a 10.9 x 6.6ft brick outhouse to move into, :D

My only concern is the large number, hoping I'm not the only one being ambitious, :lol: my dream in life was to have a large warren of rabbits, and I'm getting there ;)

I find bonding really easy, 99% of every bond I've tried worked, it's just occasionally the bunnies would end up disagreeing and fighting :(
I haven't bonded bunnies since back in Feb-April. I did try Lilly with her big sister, and they got on great so long as territory was neutral, so I'm sure once spayed and in new house they'll be good together. I know in the long run I'll have: Benji, Flopsi, Lilly, Betty & Shadow bonded 100% and Spencer, Storm, Bumble Bee & Midge 100% and I'll be trying them like that first. Then trying all nine together. They have a 10.9 x 6.6ft brick outhouse to move into, :D

My only concern is the large number, hoping I'm not the only one being ambitious, :lol: my dream in life was to have a large warren of rabbits, and I'm getting there ;)

Sounds good, do they get time out of the brick outhouse aswell?

I think you'll know there will inevitably be a 'hierarchy' however big the group, my trio would never have worked because I had two bucks who wanted to be top buck and that was apparent from the get go - I lasted 4 hours before I called it off - it's a gut instinct - I could have forced it and yes they would have worked eventually but, one would have been unhappy, living a dominated life and on the basis that anyday they would challenge the position etc - not worth it for me - I think somehow in a larger group it must be easier not least because of distraction alone, also interacting time, there are lots of other rabbits to 'visit' etc - I think I would only be wary if there was a really strong bond with say a pair or trio already - they are likely to defend that bond at some point I would say.:?

Back