• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would a Ferplast 100 be ok........

My little Pudding used a Ferplast 120 after hers - its hers and Pi's hutch - without problem. But then as they can hop in and out at will it was up to her as and when she went in/out.

My little Pudding used a Ferplast 120 after hers - its hers and Pi's hutch - without problem. But then as they can hop in and out at will it was up to her as and when she went in/out.

She wouldn't really be able to come in and go as she pleases as I have a dog and I wouldnt want anything to happen! :?

How long for? I'm sure it'd be ok for a few days - she definitely won't want to move far for the first day or two afterwards anyhow. Alfie and Bubbles were together in quite a small dog crate for a few days after Bubbles was spayed.

it's too small really, i used to have one for one of my piggies and he soon grew out of it! depends on your bun though, is it a small breed?

It will be okay for a few hours afterwards and possibly overnight, but by the morning the anaesthetic will have worn off and she will be wanting to move around a lot more.

I think it'll be fine, because I assume she's not meant to run around too much and will have stitches (never had a rabbit spayed but I'm guessing it's like cats and dogs). It would be a good idea to limit her movement for a few days anyway, that's what you're meant to do with dogs and cats who've been spayed, so I think it'd be good to keep her in a quite small cage.

yes, I would have thought its too small... they are 3ft in length. We sell these at work and I HATE them :evil:

But bear in mind that the OP is just wanting to use it for a very short time after a spay ~ if it were for permanent full time use I would say definitely no, but it'll just be for 2 or 3 days max I'm assuming.

Bubbles was very reluctant to move much at all for 2 or 3 days and certainly wasn't back to bouncing around the place as soon as the sedative wore off the next day.

The only thing I would say is that if you already have the 100, I would use it to save the expense of buying something bigger. If you need to buy one however, it might be worth getting a large dog crate instead - it'll fold flat for storage and is useful to have on standby as you never know when you'll need to bring a sick bun indoors for a while. Dog crates are very cheap on ebay. :)

What about using the cage for the first evening /morning and then attaching pen panels as she starts feeling more up to moving around?

How long for? I'm sure it'd be ok for a few days - she definitely won't want to move far for the first day or two afterwards anyhow. Alfie and Bubbles were together in quite a small dog crate for a few days after Bubbles was spayed.

I was thinking between 4 and 5 days really but was just going to see how she goes as she loves being outside and doesnt use her hutch much so not sure how well she will cope for being inside! She is fine when I bring her in now and again though!

I was thinking between 4 and 5 days really but was just going to see how she goes as she loves being outside and doesnt use her hutch much so not sure how well she will cope for being inside! She is fine when I bring her in now and again though!

The three girls I have had spayed so far have all been very lively again after 24hrs. They would go mental in such a small cage for that long.

But bear in mind that the OP is just wanting to use it for a very short time after a spay ~ if it were for permanent full time use I would say definitely no, but it'll just be for 2 or 3 days max I'm assuming.

Bubbles was very reluctant to move much at all for 2 or 3 days and certainly wasn't back to bouncing around the place as soon as the sedative wore off the next day.

The only thing I would say is that if you already have the 100, I would use it to save the expense of buying something bigger. If you need to buy one however, it might be worth getting a large dog crate instead - it'll fold flat for storage and is useful to have on standby as you never know when you'll need to bring a sick bun indoors for a while. Dog crates are very cheap on ebay. :)

Thanks for the back up :)

I dont actually have anything at the moment, I already have a pen which I use as an extension to their outside area, so could bring it indoors and make up an area for her! I looked at the option of dog crate, which would be good and I am pretty certain I can hire one from the vets!

it's too small really, i used to have one for one of my piggies and he soon grew out of it! depends on your bun though, is it a small breed?

She is a small (at the moment) dwarf lion lop but I am going to go with the pen idea I think! Thanks for replying though!

Tulip was speyed yesterday. She is in the 120 at the moment.

They really do need to be kept as calm as possible. Just ask a woman who has had a hysterectomy. Mum assures me they hurt, A LOT.

Talk to your vet as long as its a good vet they will tell you whats best:)

Good luck with the spey.

The three girls I have had spayed so far have all been very lively again after 24hrs. They would go mental in such a small cage for that long.

If it wasnt for the fact of the temp dipping at night I would only keep her indoors for 1 day and 1 night and then put her back outside with restricted space for another day but the cold at night concerns me at the moment! :?

Tulip was speyed yesterday. She is in the 120 at the moment.

They really do need to be kept as calm as possible. Just ask a woman who has had a hysterectomy. Mum assures me they hurt, A LOT.

Talk to your vet as long as its a good vet they will tell you whats best:)

Good luck with the spey.

My mum and sister in law and both one and said the same! I'm not even sure keeping her indoors with the dog and 2 year old is the best idea anyway in the hope of keeping her calm but with the temp at night dropping she will have to come in!

Not sure what to do for the best!

When I had honey speyed she went in a dog crate in the garage (no cars) because at the time my dog was a puppy and terrorised her so with her being in the garage it was warmer and the dog couldnt get to her! Rolo isnt bother by the rabbits but if she got out in the house and ran, he would chase (he is a terrier)! :roll:

I think keeping her in is a good idea to keep an eye on her for a few days anyway.

Vets recommend that dogs or cats be confined to a dog crate for a few days after being spayed, with short walks but no running. So I'd imagine that rabbits should be kept confined for several days and not be allowed to run or jump . . . but like I said, I've never had a rabbit spayed, so don't know.

I think keeping her in is a good idea to keep an eye on her for a few days anyway.

Vets recommend that dogs or cats be confined to a dog crate for a few days after being spayed, with short walks but no running. So I'd imagine that rabbits should be kept confined for several days and not be allowed to run or jump . . . but like I said, I've never had a rabbit spayed, so don't know.

I believe this is the case and I restricted Pip movement after his neuter so would be even more important with a spey!

I wasn't having a go at you hon, just thinking aloud really. Can you keep an eye out on freecycle? You may get a dog crate come up! In the ferplast, they aren't very tall xxx

Back