• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New 'Rescue' Bun

Michelleox

Mama Doe
Just a couple of daft questions but just want to be sure..

I'm doing a little bunny rescue tonight. There was a advert up in my vets today advertising a 6th month old male bun 'free to a good home' :roll: so not wanting it to go as snake food we are taking it in. This bun is a product of mis sexing and hasn't been neutured or vacced :roll: I think the lady who's advertising has a few buns.

Am i right NOT to use one of my carriers? I'm going to use housemates cat carrier instead.

Really silly question but can i transfer anything from this bun to my two on my clothing. (just being paranoid, my two had booster jabs today)

Can new bun use my current run in a few days time (obviously not with my buns in at the same time).

We'll take the new bun in for checks and Myxi jab in the next couple of days.

Thanks guys:wave:

I'm not sure of the answers to your questions Michelle, but your'e doing a fab thing taking the bunny in! Haven't seen you in ages we will have to have a catch up soon!! :wave:

Awwww good on you taking in the poor bun. Im always of the paranoid sort that for a week I wont handle the new pet and then be near mine without changing and disinfecting. I use a metal run on the patio if needed and it can be disinfected completely and left to stand afterwards so theres no cahnce of any disease transmission. I am however incredibly paranoid, I also insist on changing and cleaning after visiting a pet store that keeps animals so I dont carry anything to ours.

I'm not sure of the answers to your questions Michelle, but your'e doing a fab thing taking the bunny in! Haven't seen you in ages we will have to have a catch up soon!! :wave:

Hi hun, hope you are well and Alfie and Faunus as doing well :wave:

Thanks Ellasyn:)

I would keep it away from any area your bunny uses for 2 weeks and if it isn't neutered still would not use your bunnies run as it could cause fighting.

Good luck, we need piccies :wave:

Good luck with your rescue. With my foster I keep in a separate run and hutch on a different part of the lawn.

Any good rescue will quarantine for at least two weeks. Anything he uses that they use will need to be bleached imbetween. VHD can travel by a gust of wind :shock: So when you've safely put him away go change, and have a set pair of clothes to wear when dealing with him.
During my quarantine I have a tracksuit bottoms and a footy t-shirt as well as some old trainers. If Im concerned the rabbit is ill I'll shower afterwards as well, though not even sure if that helps?
Make sure he has a vet check as soon as you can take him, and then you can relax a little.
Congrats on helping out, I'm sure the bunny will be very grateful for you x

Back