• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mini aviary

VickiP

Wise Old Thumper
Here's my little aviary run attached to the shed, it's 6x4 on the 6x4 shed so just right for two I think, they love it, took these ages ago and posted them on a another thread today but, thought I'd put them on here, it was actually really reasonably priced all in with roof/ply for the shelf etc approx £160 labour charge was the best though zilch zip zero as my wonderful hubby did it all in a day - yay.
DSC01198.jpg

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01236.jpg

Oooooh nice. I love the shelf in the aviary! Once I move out of my current house I want to do a setup like that, contained and not overmassive, but with levels and plenty of toys. Do you find they use the doorway ok? My buns a little funny about going through holes, think I would have to make a dog sized one!

Awww thanks guys - Ellaysn they do take a while to get used to the cat flap but hours rather than days I think - I've actually tied it open aswell (OH drilled a small hole in the plastic to put some string through and tied to a picture hook inside - no sharp sticking out things) to save them having to push it all the time and because it's swings I was worried it would hit one of them in the face following the other one in to the shed, they are constantly in and out, that's why I only caught Jingle in the pic she has just shot indoors little minx:lol: I should have opened it up but, she was probably on the loo :lol:

He did a great job, looks fab :D

Thanks Lara, not a patch on yours but, they like it - I am so paranoid though I put the playpen all round it all at night in case of foxes, it is supposed to be fox proof wire but, till Al braces the wire a bit more like you did I put the playpen all round for piece of mind really :roll:

Last edited:
Thanks Lara, not a patch on yours but, they like it - I am so paranoid though I put the playpen all round it all at night in case of foxes :roll:

Dont be silly, looks nice and secure to me, the buns look like they are very happy with it! :D

Dont be silly, looks nice and secure to me, the buns look like they are very happy with it! :D

ooops just edited my last post, do you think that square mesh is strong enough? Al has agreed to cross brace the panels at the bottom - not to obscure their view too much but just to make it feel more sturdy. They are very happy with it, Jingle was housed for 3 years in a 4ft albeit double storey 'home sweet home':roll: hutch so he is like lord of the manor now with his new wifey :lol::love:

Thanks for the lovely positive comments, it's still not as big as I would like but, better than they had and they are happy bunnies:love::love:

ooops just edited my last post, do you think that square mesh is strong enough? Al has agreed to cross brace the panels at the bottom - not to obscure their view too much but just to make it feel more sturdy. They are very happy with it, Jingle was housed for 3 years in a 4ft albeit double storey 'home sweet home':roll: hutch so he is like lord of the manor now with his new wifey :lol::love:

Its galvanised isnt it? Looks good to me! Lovely to see buns loving in such lovely accomodation knowing where they have come from, something very satisfying about it :)

Has the wood on the aviary panels been painted? I'm only asking cos I'm unsure as to wether to paint ours when we do it or not and what to paint them with.

Its galvanised isnt it? Looks good to me! Lovely to see buns loving in such lovely accomodation knowing where they have come from, something very satisfying about it :)

Yes galvanised, it's just me being a bit over the top (I saw a family of foxes running around next door) - I'm imagining werewolves rather than foxes I think :lol:

Schuette, the wood is untreated, I am going to use the cuprinol shades on the outside but OH is going to cover the inside part of the wood (accessible) by the buns with some edging probably metal or hard UPVC to prevent nibbling it's only exposed on the front section the sides have the weld mest down over the wood and I won't paint those bits on the inside as they won't be so important in terms of the weather really gets on the outside bit if you see what I mean - gosh waffle waffle :lol: I know what I mean though :lol:

Schuette, the wood is untreated, I am going to use the cuprinol shades on the outside but OH is going to cover the inside part of the wood (accessible) by the buns with some edging probably metal or hard UPVC to prevent nibbling it's only exposed on the front section the sides have the weld mest down over the wood and I won't paint those bits on the inside as they won't be so important in terms of the weather really gets on the outside bit if you see what I mean - gosh waffle waffle :lol: I know what I mean though :lol:

I understand :thumb: The edging on the inside isn't something I'd thought about but I suppose it's something I ought to do too. Smudge is a nibbler.

Back