• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Q about hay

Any hay but alfalfa cos alfalfa is high in calcium (and protein I think).

Mine love Timothy and the Alfalfa King (not alfalfa hay, it's the brand name) Oat, Wheat and Barley. Mine also go crazy for their bog standard but lovely quality meadow hay.

Yeah, they should have an unlimited supply of dry hay :)

Meadow hay seems to be quite popular :)

Hiya :) hay should make up 80 percent of a rabbits daily intake. The rest is 10 percent of each pellets and veg. This is wat many good rabbit sources advise. Some people feed Hay cakes, cubes etc instead but these are no replacement for good old fashioned hay, some of these contain alfalfa. I avoid these type of processed things as i've heard they're actually quite bad for the gut. Couldn't open the link on my mobile. But hope this helps :) Buns should have at least two rabbit sized bundles of hay daily, or if you can unlimited. I.e. Always a supply of hay available. :wave::D

Last edited:
The best hay for a daily feed is a GRASS hay. Timothy, meadow and other grass hays (Orchard for example) are all grass hays and are equally ideal for daily use.

This daily hay can then be supplemented with a cereal hay such as Oat, Wheat or Barley hay.

Legume hays such as alfalfa are not recommended for rabbits over the age of 6 months due to the high calcium levels.

Grass and most cereal hays are ideal as they have a low protein to high fibre ratio - which is just what bunny needs.
Timothy hay is a grass hay that is very slow growing and very high in fibre, much more so than normal meadow hay which is why it is so popular with rabbit owners. :):wave:

Thanks guys :wave: Not long been back from the vets, he just had his first jab! He took it really well, he wasn't even nervous :shock: and I picked up some Excel herbage while I was in there :D Didn't know they'd started selling food & stuff :D

Back