• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies who travel badly?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Who else has/d a rabbit(s) who travels horrifically?

Whenever I take Badger anywhere he just looks like he is going to die en route. Its horrid. I've only had tolerable travellers or even those who enjoyed it, up until now.

Flint - he hates it. Vets visits are him shaking in a pet carrier usually with Kendra cos she travels well (he's in a group). It usually affects his eating after, so I try & give him pellets & veg before

Parsley chatters his teeth with fear as soon as the car ignition is turned on . . . (and NO he is not tooth purring - or grinding - its definitely tooth chattering!). After 30 mins he starts to hyperventilate and has his nose in the air to try and breath - its terrifying.

Pearl was, i guess it was the stress on her heart that made travel so much worse for her :(:(

Holly don't like it, she dont overly react bad but she takes atleast an hour to forgive me :(

Alvin is a great traveller. he dont like the being in the carrier so much but hes quite active and totally fine when released :love::love:

:wave:
Harley boy just goes into a panic about going out. He hates going to the vets and mouth breathes then doesn't eat for a long while after. :roll:
He was good the last time Floppy had to go in. We told the nurses he loved nose rubs and he was fine. :) Everything revolves around Harley. :love:

Pye cowers at the back of his carrier shaking and it takes him forever to come round from a major huff afterwards, its only a five minute drive or so to the vets too

Sparkle is terrible.. he dribbles and froths at the mouth and throws himself at the sides of the carrier :( By the time he gets to the vets he looks like he has been run over and has rabies :(

Mine intensely dislike travelling- perhaps something to do with my driving :?

I think it helps to keep them covered and cool- a bit of soft classical music may help to block out traffic noise. Or you could try singing to them!

Some people swear by Bach Flower remedy- I haven't tried it myself yet though xx

Mine are very good these days considering how awful Nino used to be. Ok with straight/main roads but as soon as you hit the twisty lanes the whites of his eyes would start to show... figured it was travel sickness!

Have used Bach flower rescue remedy in the past successfully. I think mine are so used to car travel now with all the vet trips that this time the 2 1/2hrs to Somerset even Nino dozed the whole way - even had eyes half shut on the twisty lanes for the last hour. I think just getting used to it regularly really helps, as does cushioning out the vibrations.
I used to have the carrier on my lap if hubby driving but now preggers can't do that so it went wedged in with bags on folded down seats behind - less vibrations too I think.

For those stressed i really would recommend Bach remedy either given directly or dropped onto fenugreek crunchie/raisin. :)

Mine are very good these days considering how awful Nino used to be. Ok with straight/main roads but as soon as you hit the twisty lanes the whites of his eyes would start to show... figured it was travel sickness!

Have used Bach flower rescue remedy in the past successfully. I think mine are so used to car travel now with all the vet trips that this time the 2 1/2hrs to Somerset even Nino dozed the whole way - even had eyes half shut on the twisty lanes for the last hour. I think just getting used to it regularly really helps, as does cushioning out the vibrations.
I used to have the carrier on my lap if hubby driving but now preggers can't do that so it went wedged in with bags on folded down seats behind - less vibrations too I think.

For those stressed i really would recommend Bach remedy either given directly or dropped onto fenugreek crunchie/raisin. :)

how many drops per 2kg bun would you give and how long before travel??

how many drops per 2kg bun would you give and how long before travel??

I've given two drops to each of my buns (similar weight to yours) about 5-10 mins before setting off - seems to last quite a while in the system.
I didn't use it this time, but in the past when I haven't they have jiggled and squirmed and fussed the whole journey home from Somerset. The times they have had it they have been on the whole much calmer. :wave:

I think travelling at bunny's naturally sleepy time of day can really help. We left at 1pm this time and arrived at 3.30pm - perfect for my two who would naturally snooze then anyway. I wouldn't like to travel my buns for long hours at a time their bodies are used to eating.

Mr Bubbles hates travelling. I usually take buns to the vet by bus, not having a can, unless they are very ill. He gets in such a state though that it's a taxi there and back for him, even if it's only for jags.

He starts breathing really fast, and through his mouth. It takes him most of the night to recover. He's 5 now and I'm always worried it will get too much for him.

I've given two drops to each of my buns (similar weight to yours) about 5-10 mins before setting off - seems to last quite a while in the system.
I didn't use it this time, but in the past when I haven't they have jiggled and squirmed and fussed the whole journey home from Somerset. The times they have had it they have been on the whole much calmer. :wave:

I think travelling at bunny's naturally sleepy time of day can really help. We left at 1pm this time and arrived at 3.30pm - perfect for my two who would naturally snooze then anyway. I wouldn't like to travel my buns for long hours at a time their bodies are used to eating.

cheers hun, ill be taking a few drops myself when we leave for scotland, i think i travel worse than the pets do :oops::oops::oops:

My Smudge doesn't like it but he doesn't react anywhere near as violently as some here. If I can I get someone else to drive and open up the top of the carriers to give them strokes to calm them a bit.

Any health food store and most supermarkets or chemists/Boots :wave:

It's the Five flower rescue remedy from Bach.

That stuff is awesome, I give it to the dog around fireworks time and will prob give it to the buns too! I used it myself at the weekend actually!! :)

Back